high e-string keeps breaking in the middle of the string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Electronics & Parts' started by Santuzzo, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Santuzzo

Santuzzo Member

Hi,

the high e-string on my new Ernie Ball/Music Man JP7 keeps breaking when I do larger bends (3fret/minor 3rd bend). Not every time I do these bends, but after a few hours of playing. This happened now for the 3rd time within 5 days or so.
    This does only happen on this particular guitar. The weird thing is: the string breaks in the middle of the string around the 13th fret. Every time at the exact same spot, I compared the broken string halves (from the ball end to the spot where it broke) and they are exactly the same length on every string that broke.
    I checked the frets in that area for any sharp or rough edges but I could not detect anything. When I run my finger across the fret-edges they are all somewhat sharp, but that's on the edge where the string does not go normally.
    Scale length is 25.5" , I use regular 010s in standard tuning.
    and the frets are stainless steel frets.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks,
    Lars

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. TheCaffeinatedOne

TheCaffeinatedOne New Member

You mentioned that the frets do have sharp edges. Could it be that the string is breaking because you are playing it / bending it at this location more than at other locations? I guess I'm thinking that if the fret edges are sharp, they can be causing points of wear at any location the string has been bent hard and often. Your playing style may mean one particular location (and one string) gets much more use, and therefore stress, at that point than any other. Just an idea, but the answer at any rate would be to crown and polish the frets a bit.

Santuzzo likes this.
  3. Santuzzo

Santuzzo Member

Thank you for your input.
    This is an older thread, I ended up returning the guitar (for several different reasons), so I never found out what the real cause of the string breakage was.
    I got another JP7 and that one is fine! :yesway:

4. TheCaffeinatedOne

TheCaffeinatedOne New Member

:io:Heh. . . I didn't even look at the thread date.

Santuzzo likes this.
  5. Santuzzo

Santuzzo Member

No worries. Thank you for helping anyway! :yesway: