Hi Guys - Introduction & some build pics-->

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Zeegler, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

Here's a pic I just took of the neck-thru Raptor. I just routed the pickups cavities. What you can't see too well in this pic, is the wiring tunnel. The guitars I'm building don't have a back and a top like Les Pauls, so I can't simply route a wiring channel before gluing the top on. Instead, what I did was to route a 1/2" wide X 1/2" deep channel in the mating edge of the treble wing (into the padauk and walnut stringers). The pickup cavity routes expose access to the channel, and I also drilled a 1/2" diameter hole from the edge of the stringer to where the control cavity will be. Finally, the treble side bridge stud will also protrude slightly into the channel allowing me to run a groundwire.

[​IMG]

2. Jenious

Jenious Member

3. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

I intend on buying one from Stewmac to actually slot my own boards, but that might do the trick for deepening existing slots. I'll have to check it out. Thanks! :yesway:

4. Jim Engen

Jim Engen New Member

Nice work! I dig it! Welcome aboard.

Jim

5. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

So, as it turns out, I have one of these:
    [​IMG]
    and yesterday I figured I'd check to see if it's thin enough to deepen those frets. Turns out it is EXACTLY the right thickness. :dude:

So, I can now go ahead and fret the Urchin...ahem, when I get around to ordering more fretwire. :rofl:

6. LeoBurrell

LeoBurrell New Member

Let me see if I have this right. You are a beginner? If so, your work is stupendifferous! And in addition to your craftiness you use all the right words to describe your project. Wow! I'm impressed!

7. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

Thanks for the kind words. It might appear that I know what I'm doing here, but although it's not immediately obvious from the pictures, the guitars I am working on are not without their flaws. For example, the neck angle on the Urchin is too big, meaning my bridge with be set rather high. I'm learning as I go, so I've revised my neck angle on subsequent builds. Another issue with the Urchin, is that the fretboard shifted very slightly when I glued it because I did not use anything to index it with to ensure it didn't slide under the clamps. Because of this, the centreline of the neck, and the centreline of the body are slightly off. My bridge will be located approximately 1/8" off centre because of this. 1/8" might not seem like a big deal, but if you were to spend good money on a guitar, I'm sure this wouldn't be acceptable to most people. In future I will use some method of indexing the fretboard so it doesn't shift.

Anyway, it's all about learning, and I'm having a lot of fun, so thanks again.

crazygtr likes this.
  8. Rokkaholik

Rokkaholik New Member

MY design goes back to 1989 where I designed the guitar in an art class and then fulfilled it in woodshop in 10th grade in 1990. I combined elements of the Ironbird, Warlock and Mockingbird with a longer King V tail and came up with my own unique design. I had several variants of this same design with slightly different upper horn (Ironbird area) where it was either straight or curved. I never could decide, which is why I sent Neal Moser both full scale drawings.

My ORIGINAL prototype that I built in shop didn't work out due to intonation measurements, so I had an exact replica made by a different guitar maker in California in 2000. It didn't turn out very good quality-wise, but I posted the end result on the BC Rich messageboard at the time and that is where I met Neal Moser. He then started building mine around 2005ish.

ZEEGLER, I find it an odd coincidence that you were a member of many guitar related messageboards including the Moser Shredder and then you post here a design that you claim to be your own even though I have dated proof of my own design.

Here is a Clay art project from 1989 (yes, I had dreams of BC Rich making my own design)

[​IMG]

And here is my original wood body I made in 1990 along with the first Prototype from 2000 and the white Moser Samurai

[​IMG]

9. yztk

yztk New Member

Nice to meet to you!

Great design!!

10. Rokkaholik

Rokkaholik New Member

It's not his design. It's a modified version of my design

11. Gladys Nichols

Gladys Nichols New Member

I'm new at building and need all the info I can get on how to build an electric bass neck. Appreciate any and all info. Plans??

12. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

No. It is entirely my own original design. Your memory doesn't serve you too well, because I had posted pics of my mock up, and my original bolt-on body years ago on the Shredder. That was right around the same time you posted pics of yours. Please don't flatter yourself by thinking for a second that I stole your design. In all honesty, if I had seen yours before I came up with mine, I certainly wouldn't have said to myself "now there's an awesome looking guitar. I'm going to copy it." I was trying to be diplomatic in my other posts, but since you're coming in here and saying I stole your design, the gloves are off. Your design is terrible. It looks like it was designed by an 8 year old. It is far to big and doesn't look well thought out at all. You clearly don't have an eye for design. That's just my opinion though. Some people like the BC Rich beast and that stupid looking thing that Doyle plays. I'm sorry that you're bitter that my design looks infinitely better than yours, but coming in here, posting in my thread and telling people that I ripped off your design is just an asshole move. Grow up and GTFO!

cloudy likes this.
  13. Rokkaholik

Rokkaholik New Member

My art project and original 1990 body were posted on the BC Rich message board back in 01-02 before the Shredder was up and running. When Neal started to build mine, I also posted pics on The Shredder of where I came up with the design and WHEN. There is absolutely no way you could have come up with something so similar without seeing it and I certainly never saw your Raptor on Neals site or I would have said something back then

14. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

Listen. I'm done with this. I don't give a shit what you think, and I doubt anyone else does either. I'm not obligated to explain anything to you. Notice how I'm not accusing you of stealing and molesting my design? That's because I honestly don't care.

If you truly believe what you're saying, sue me. :rofl:

cloudy likes this.
  15. Rokkaholik

Rokkaholik New Member

I'm also the one remaining calm here while you let your true colors come shining through. People here will decide for themselves I guess. On a side note, your Urchin copy turned out cool. Love the green

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  16. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I've decided I don't care.

What I do care about is that you signed up here to harass another member. I'm reporting your posts.

cloudy likes this.
  17. Rokkaholik

Rokkaholik New Member

I signed up here to set a record straight on a design that even another member in this thread addressed. That is all

18. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Hope you two can work this out .
    This has not been the only show of aggression here .
    It isn't fun when it happens , but it happens .
    What I will say is that unless the design is legally protected in some way it doesn't matter a hill of beans if it is stolen or an original design .
    Once you put it out there to the public , it is fair game unless protected in some way .
    Pointy guitars are not my thing , but it does appear that you do good work .

19. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Your "design" is generic, a total mishmash of existing guitars.

20. Rokkaholik

Rokkaholik New Member

Is that why guitar companies sue each other all the time for copyright and trademark infringement? It would be different if it were a shape like a Strat, Les Paul or V, which are pretty much standard these days. Try to copy a BC Rich Warlock or a Dimebag Razorback, call it original, sell it, and see who comes knocking.