Help, I may have just trashed my dimarzio humbucker?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Electronics & Parts' started by Dave Locher, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

Today I tried to replace the ceramic magnet in a Dimarzio Super Distortion humbucker with an Alnico 5 magnet. I watched several YouTube videos and it all looked very simple. Right until I opened up the pickup.
    The ceramic magnet is much thicker and is more narrow than the A5 magnet, which means it won't fit between the pole pieces AND even if it did the base plate would bottom on the pole screws before the magnet comes into contact with the coils.
    Then, just to add insult to injury, when I put the pickup back together the two coils pulled apart from each other when I tightened down the base plate screws!

Have I ruined this pickup?
    If I placed the A5 magnet under the ceramic (sandwiched between the magnet and the base plate) would that change the tone? If so, in what way?
    Finally, what do I do about the pickup physically separating??

2. B. Howard

B. Howard New Member

What does the resistance measure? If the wiring is OK then loosen the screws and reposition the coils and gently tighten again. Sounds like you over tightened the screws.

3. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

You might have overtightened the screws, or maybe forgotten the wooden (or plastic) shims on the outer edges of the pickups. You're probably alright as long as you didn't break any wires.

4. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

It measures around 13.7k, which I think is about right for this pickup.
    Brian, would you be interested in putting it back together with a correct-size A5 magnet and repotting the pickup for me? At this point I think I'm in over my head.
    I know it's a very small job but I was hoping you'd be willing to take it on? I'd rather pay to get it repaired & modded than buy a new pickup.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  5. Tonedragon

Tonedragon New Member

I trashed mine for Lust for Tone