Handplane Making (and Stuff of that Nature)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Murkar, May 22, 2014.

1. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Well.....this is not a guitar making thread......but it's used for guitar making, so I figured it might be appropriate here anyways.

I've wanted an infill plane for a long time. I've been making a lot of planes recently, so I decided that it was time to make one for myself. Oddly enough I don't own any planes - because every time I make one, it gets sold.

I have one on the go (a Koa smoother) but it's already got an owner (which is not me). Soooo.....here we go!

I started with the steel. This is cold rolled steel; I've used hot rolled in the past for other planes with success and had no problems with oxidizing in a moist shop after a year in the toolbox. If I had access to a milling machine and/or surface grinder, I would have gone with stainless or maybe even tool steel (but sadly I do not). The little square and the brass rod to the right are for the Koa smoother.

[​IMG]

Lots of time was spent getting the sole made up; everything has to fit together perfectly. There is no room for error. I've never made one of these before (full sized anyways).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's very satisfying to use tools you made to make other tools! Here laying out the positions for the side pins with the drill bit awl.

[​IMG]

A nice piece of Bocote for the infill. Beautiful grain!

[​IMG]

Last but not least.....the Koa smoother, nearing completion. The side pins are now in; I have some final shaping to do (the top right corner is a bit high as you can see here, will take all of 30 seconds to sort that out).

[​IMG]

The infill is actually already cut and fitted to the sole. I don't have pictures of that, will post some tomorrow probably when I get the chance. That's all for now.....

jkes01 likes this.
  2. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

These are always so awesome!

3. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

god these are so beautiful. im gonna order another one anthony. It will happen probably after i sell one of the guitars.

4. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

I basically touched bone today with a chisel; may need stitches depending how bad it looks tomorrow. Just wanted to remind everyone to be careful in the shop!! If you sharpen your tools like razors, they cut like razors.

Also cheers guy =P This plane is quite heavy (I'm used to wooden ones)....it should be good when it's done. I'm excited about it. The infill is cut to shape and fitted to the ramps very nicely. Took some work but it's important that it's all very precise. Next up will be drilling for the lever cap and the pins used for securing the infills in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the sides mounted to the sole already, but unfortunately no pics - my SLR is broken =( Not sure what happened but it won't take any pictures. The bed angle on this plane is 30 degrees; with a 25 degree bevel on the iron, it will make 55 degree cut angle. So this will be a mitre smoother plane. The infill will be french polished.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
    Purelojik likes this.
  5. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Amazing work! Are you a tool maker/metal smith? How did you figure this plane making gig out?

6. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Hey Dave! I am not a toolmaker or metalsmith by nature.....I started out building guitars. I needed a smooth plane and didn't have $250 to put down for a nice Lie Nielsen, so I made one out of cherry. It was a piece of shit but it worked! I decided to learn more about plane making.....one day I came upon Konrad Sauer's blog.

And that was it, after reading his blog I was hooked permanently. It's unbelievable, you should check it out: Sauer & Steiner

One day in the next year or two I hope to be able to afford a mill so I can start making much more professional planes - as it is, I make everything by hand; unfortunately it limits me because I can't make the lever caps I want (like this one - for that, I would probably need a CNC milling machine rather than manual, which gets expensive).

7. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Starting to look like a plane!

[​IMG]

Had to make some screws, which will be used to secure the lever cap.

[​IMG]

Finished up the cap for the Koa smoother. Also applied a thin coat of satin lacquer. Just waiting for the cap screw now, which is stainless (coming by mail - very slowly apparently).

[​IMG]

And the bottom; the mouth is a hair wider than I'd like, but it cuts well so I'll leave it. Did some very nice test cuts in a hard piece of Walnut earleir and it cuts beautifully. I'll test it on curly maple before sending it out to you dave.

[​IMG]

And last but not least.....this is where my workshop is! In the middle of a 100 acre apple orchard. All of the trees are in blossom atm; snapped this photo while I was working on these planes today.

[​IMG]

8. Duplex Dave

The planes are absolutely stunning! Can't wait to give mine a try!
    I'll have to check out the blog. There are some threads on the OWWM (old woodworking machines) about making hand made saws, that seems interesting as well.
    Nice orchard, looks like a beautiful place to be this time of year. I eat lots of apples, but they don't grow very well in so cal.
    Take care of the injured hand, sounds nasty...

9. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Oh nice, never heard of OWWM, have to check it out for sure! It's nice here in the fall....apples everywhere, just walk out the back and grab a few. And thanks...hoping to avoid stitches but I'm thinking they may be a good idea...

Infill plane is almost done.

[​IMG]

10. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

Stitches? Don't you have any CA? :fingersx:

11. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

haha I feel like if I pour CA glue on it and then need stitches, the doctors might send me to the psychiatric ward :io: wasn't it used to seal wounds in vietnam though? (I suspect that using CA glue on a cut like this might REALLLLY hurt lol)

12. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

I swear to god this project is going to kill me - but it's almost done!

The pins are in. These are then peened over; holds the sides extremely tightly to the wood with no glue.

[​IMG]

After peening, they are ground flush with the sides.

[​IMG]

Finally get to start working on the bevels!

[​IMG]

And here she is at the present moment. Now how the hell am I going to make that lever cap?

[​IMG]

13. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

dude is probably the sexiest looking plane i've seen.

honestly i wanna bolt a guitar top to a body using that sainless brushed steel and brass rod combo with natural wood. it'd look killer

14. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Cheers! That would be badass mate =O Your idea reminds me of this engraved guitar by John Catto, I think it owuld be pretty sick :D

[​IMG]

Purelojik likes this.
  15. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

Not to derail the thread, but...

Research has demonstrated the use of cyanoacrylate in wound closure as being safer and more functional than traditional suturing (stitches). The adhesive has demonstrated superior performance in the time required to close a wound, incidence of infection (suture canals through the skin's epidermal, dermal, and subcutaneous fat layers introduce extra routes of contamination) and final cosmetic appearance.

Back on thread....beautiful plane!!!

poro78 likes this.
  16. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

they have used it in open heart surgeries too. i havent seen it done in my rotations but i've heard it used.

17. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I prefer to use superglue on nasty cuts. Luckily I've not had too many, but every once in a while (like the 2 I got when working on retrofitting that damned case).

18. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Nasty. I opted to just let it heal....rather than dipping my hand in glue lol

I am very happy to have this finally finished - the thumb screws arrived yesterday. Have to shorten the screw a bit, but aside from that, she's done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test cuts in mahogany were real nice. Same w/ walnut (no pics).

[​IMG]

19. Duplex Dave

Wow! A functional work of art! I can't wait to put it to good use!
    I just got this book Making and Mastering Wood Planes hoefully I can learn how to use and care for it. Thanks Anthony!

20. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Hey Dave,

I am in California for a couple of days for a conference; I mailed the plane our just before leaving so it should arrive within a day or two (if it has not already)! I left the screw long because it's quite easy t adjust as-is; should be an easy matter to shorten it if you desire. I normally leave my planes unfinished, but I sprayed yours with a thin coat of lacquer just to help prevent movement of the wood. Nothing fancy.

That's a great book! I have a copy of it myself that I got from Lee Valley. I am still working on my planes to make them the most functional they can be...the only issue I take with the method in the book is that a wedge is used for securing the blade - seems to me that these come loose quite easily.

While you may not want to try and plane super hard curly maples and African Blackwood using a handplane anyways, I made the transition to lever caps because they hold the iron much more securely.