Hand Rest Near Sound Hole

Discussion in 'Hardware, Electronics & Parts' started by ScottMohr, Sep 6, 2017.

1. ScottMohr

ScottMohr New Member

Luthier Gurus! I have been thinking about adding some kind of bridge across my guitar's strings, on the body, just approaching the sound hole. This would allow me to rest my hand on the bridge since I almost entirely hand-pick, and I could pick right over the hold while resting my hand.
    Is there such a part I can buy? Or would I have to make something? Is this a really bad idea for some structural reason?

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Attaching anything to the top soundboard would likely counteract all the careful bracing design that went into the guitar, i.e. I think you'd kill the tone.

I suggest wrist-strengthening exercises instead!

3. ScottMohr

ScottMohr New Member

Thank you for your response- it's not that I need the bridge for rest really- it's an accuracy thing. I normally rest my picking hand just behind the bridge to can better picking, but that puts me too far from the sound hole. I just want something to anchor my hand near the sound hole which enables me to use all five fingers. I've seen other guitarists anchor their pinkie and pick with 4 fingers, but I use all five, and need better accuracy. If I use something that spreads the stress out over an area over the bracing It might work. I just figured I can't be the first to have thought of that and that there might be some bridge like that out there.