Guitar Post Flight Damage Advice

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Geobots, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Geobots

Geobots New Member

Hi Im looking for some advice... I just got off a flight where I had my guitar in the hold. I picked it up at baggage reclaim and gave it a good inspection and noticed something that I hadn’t seen before. It looks like cracks or splits under the paint on the body. They are all over front and back. Has anyone seen a his before? Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Hard to tell, but some of that may be the finish sinking into the grain. In either case, keep in mind that aircraft cargo holds are not climate controlled. At high altitudes the guitar essentially gets close to freezing. Depending on the duration of the flight the wood and finish will dramatically contract, then expand again after you land. The rule of thumb is to never open the case right away, letting the guitar slowly come back up to ambient temperature. Sudden temperature shocks can crack the finish!

3. Ray Carlton

Ray Carlton New Member

pretty normal for alder - some worse than others - means your guitar has a thin finish - get over it and play your guitar or move it on - guitarbuilder is right about the pore sink

4. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Normal, go look at some Fenders (USA & Custom Shop) at Guitar Center and you will see the same thing on alder and ash.