Guitar Plans

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Danny Huscroft, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Danny Huscroft

Danny Huscroft New Member

Hi,

Iv recently decided that I would like to purchase an appetite for destruction Slash Les Paul. Saw the price and decided against it. Then my next choice was to purchase a standard Gibson Les Paul. After going to a UK northern based store I still felt for the price I wouldn't love it as much. So hey I thought why not use the money to buy one, a friend of mine told me about this online company Elite Guitar Plans and they're on eBay too. Basically seen as this is Luthier chat my questions are basically, has anyone bought a plan from this company before and also if you have was it good and is it helpful. I'm sure the company goes under the header of JAGuitars. The site has lots of choice but I find with websites it can easily be a biased opinion. I just want someone with knowledge to advise me as I have saved up to do this.

thank you for taking time to read

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

I haven't used their plans, but would caution you against building a Les Paul from scratch if you haven't got some building experience already. These are not easy! Perhaps getting a used LP is a better option? What is your budget?

3. rgraf

rgraf New Member

Check out eBay, and do some searches on Les Paul parts. The Chinese copies are starting to catch up in quality to a surprising degree. It's kind of the wild west, but if you know what the pitfalls are, you should be able to get a great guitar cheap. I've got a kit that has both good and bad, so I'm somewhat familiar with these, and I can tell you what to look out for, if you are interested in pursuing that. The plating on the tuners was somewhat cheap, but the mechanism seems way better than the cheapo tuners I've seen. These seem as solid as the Gotoh tuners. Not sure about the pickups, but they at least feel rather hefty.

As for plans, that depends on how much you like woodworking. Check out some youtube videos. There's hand tool builds, all the way up to CNC builds.