Guitar designing from scratch, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by DRF, Nov 23, 2013.

1. DRF

DRF Member

Whats the process for you?, throw caution to the wind, follow traditional designs, don't even bother?.

My biggest problem is I've been so manipulated and ingrained by the iconic ones that if it starts to deviate "it just looks wrong".

If you start to deviate from a L.P or Strat it starts to look suspiciously like a PRS.

Just random thoughts here, one half of me says just do something outlandish just so its not painfully derivative and the other says be more reserved and don't worry about it. It will never be original anyway.

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Just sit down and sketch... I found my best designs come when I'm sitting in an extremely boring class (college)...

3. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

If a design reminds you of something already existing ... doesn't mean it's really close to it or even a copy! I draw my designs from scratch and as I don't do crazy shapes it often looks familiar or usual. When I compare (or even overlay) it to iconic shapes (to get a better idea) I notice a lot of differences though ...

4. DRF

DRF Member

I guess I should have put this in the design forum, I totally missed it.

I don't know, like I said just random thoughts, drawing out designs is one of my favorite things and I like to do them full scale from the start, its just easier for me to get a feel for it and if its going to be feasible and transfer over to the next step which is making a template.

The process I do results in a lot of time invested, designing is one thing, then a template is made and if its a carved top I do a master in Plaster on the template which takes a helluva long time, sometimes I get to this point and find I don't really like it.

This is where these days I'm thinking whatever, its fine. Part of my problem is in the lutherie and music area I've always had people around that are ultra critical and its rubbed off, not even that I care what they think although while working I can hear their little Hen pecking voices in my mind. I basically became almost...whats that disease where everything has to be perfect and hence you never get anything done?.

5. Micter

Micter New Member

I have only designed one guitar completely (made a few of them) and my take is to sit down and come up with the configuration first. Neck joint, headstock type (scooped or tilt back, 3x3, 6 inline, 4x2) pick ups, etc. then work on the body shape. after the body shape is pretty well set, then work on the headstock design. We've all seen guitars that the headstock just doesn't work with the body shape. lol

6. Blue Belly Guitars

Blue Belly Guitars New Member

keep drawing. When you get something you like, print it out & hang it on the wall for a few days. When you get 3 or 4 you like, you can start refining & tweaking them til' you have 1 or 2 that'll work for you.
    You can't totally discount classic designs, they are classic for a reason. You can try to "not" work from/toward them. You'll find that people will always tell you it looks like a _ _ _ _caster or a _ _ _ _. It unavoidable. If you really want to leave something on this earth, really make it "you". In the end, you don't get to decide this but, satisfaction is yours, while you live. Do it! Here's one of mine.
    [​IMG]

DRF and Sully like this.
  7. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. Draw it over and over, and then let it sit. Then once you make templates, you may find that you make some changes as well.

Sully

8. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

That's what happened to my 7-string model ... only I noticed it when I shaped the body not a template :hmm: but hey ... it's a prototype!

9. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Me too! The point at the bottom of my 71 template was on center. I shifted it slightly on the first body and decided that I liked it better.

10. DRF

DRF Member

I'll admit it took me awhile -of staring at the pic- to warm up to that guitar, obviously I approach it with tainted glasses, but you start to notice the vintage appointments, carved top and the execution of it. I could see somebody on like Austin City Limits rockin' it.

11. Blue Belly Guitars

Blue Belly Guitars New Member

I've just built the second unit. It's out of this world. I'll post pics soon.

12. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta New Member

I just let the wood it's self motivate me...

[​IMG]

13. DRF

DRF Member

:hmm:...like the Mississippi river draining into the Ocean?. Looks neat, I hope you nicknamed it something like "Big Muddy".