Guild Twelve String Bridge Problems

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Josh Wells, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Josh Wells

Josh Wells New Member

Hello everyone! I’m a brand new member and this is my first post. I’ll appreciate any insight I can get. I recently bought a guild jf-30-12 on reverb as a project. The bridge had pulled off and took a lot of top material with it. I’m new to the luthier trade and have never dealt with this before. I spent a couple of weeks crawling forums and YouTube for the proper way to handle this problem to no avail. My question is, since the footprint where the bridge went is uneven, what is the proper fix? The gouges are too deep to remove wood to make it even, however you can’t just glue it with those gaps between the bridge and top can you? What is the proper fix? I can provide pics if needed.

2. Ray Carlton

Ray Carlton New Member

yes do that pic thing - this post means nothing without them

3. Josh Wells

Josh Wells New Member

D8899F41-435D-4BB5-8E6D-5C138AC6C6F5.jpeg FD091768-495F-434D-A586-00265EB472AF.jpeg Here are some pictures. Hard to show how deep some of the chunks are though.

4. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

I wouldn't worry about it, just glue it back on. Get the footprint a little closer to the edge of the bridge, Guild likes to leave a much smaller footprint than needed. Just make sure you get good clamp pressure with caul(s) on top and inside.

5. Josh Wells

Josh Wells New Member

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I’m in the process of evening the finish with the bridge. I read somewhere that that could be the cause. I’m going to get stewmac’s bridge clamping set. I think it’s on sale.