Gluing Frets - What Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Kenni, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Kenni

Kenni New Member

Hi everyone & happy holidays! :)

This christmas holiday I'm going to refret an old Squier Telecaster of mine, and I was wondering what type of glue you guys use when refretting, if any...

I've matched the fret wire as best as I can, and everything should be fine there.
    I'm going to radius the fret wire, using my fret bender, and give it a slight tigher radius.

Also, do you fill the slots with glue or just glue the fret ends, while the neck is clamped?
    I've seen people do both.

Thanks & Cheers!
    Kenni :)

Terry Chapman likes this.
  2. Terry Chapman

Terry Chapman New Member

Hi,I dont use any glue at all. I just bend the wire on my radius tool just slightly more than the fingerboard and make sure slots are clean.

3. Kenni

Kenni New Member

Hey, @Terry Chapman :)

Thanks for your reply!

I see, thanks. I actually ended up doing the same thing on my last refret.
    The wire was good, snug fit, and no need for glue.

I have another refret coming up, a Santana LP-type guitar with bound sides, so that'll be a challenge - luckily I have the right tools! ;)

Some guys swear to glue, and says it's the best... other don't..

It can be hard to find the answers sometime, I think :)

Cheers, mate!

Terry Chapman likes this.
  4. Ray Carlton

Ray Carlton New Member

I have used CA, hide glue and titebond. I like that there are no voids under the frets anywhere when glue is used. With a refret job it is my opinion that the slots are a little wider after pulling frets out and cleaning them up. The glue is a little insurance you get no frets creeping up in a few months time because they are not in really tight. It also has a bad effect on the tone if the frets arent in nice and tight. The glue kinda runs in and holds it all together in a solid block in the slot. A bit of heat and it goes soft so frets can be pulled. CA goes off in a puff of smoke when its heated with a soldering iron. Dont breathe it in. uurrkkk!!

CA is good but makes a mess easily. Titebond doesn't set up really hard. Hide glue does set up quite hard and brittle. I am using hide at the moment. Easy clean up and easy to use. CA is a PIA. not really useable on guitars with nitro or acrylic one pack finishes. You can make a big mess with CA in double quick time on a nitro finish. dont bother asking how I know this.

5. Victor Christian

Victor Christian New Member

In the past I have used CA (super glue in England) and epoxy with varying results. I find both too messy (especially thin CA glue). I now use Titebond and I fill the slot. I always tape up a neck to cater for spillage. Though Titebond does not really adhere to the fret, it does fill in any gaps. I use it all the time now (I do around 6 re-frets a month)...

-----------------------------
    facebook.com/ngoneseven
    -----------------------------

6. Vurric

Vurric New Member

A luthier online in Uk said he uses PVA. I asked him how does paper glue hold.. He said you'd be surprised. Cant imagine that
    Super glue dried to fast for technical first fret job with binding and made it hard to get frets lined up correctly on my Takamine.

some claim that glue helps with fret tone and sustain.
    I for one want to make sure my frets dont come up before another fret job