Gibson Truss Rod

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by darkheart, Dec 15, 2018.

1. darkheart

darkheart New Member

Hey, new to the forum. Hoping someone can help me with this issue I've run into.

I'm currently servicing an older Gibson Explorer and have found the truss rod nut to be completely stripped- even to the point that none of the 6 sides of the nut are discernible. This obviously needs replacing so I'm looking for suggestions on how to best extract the stripped nut.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. rgraf

rgraf New Member

You're going to have to try using a small cutoff wheel to create a couple of flats, or you'll have to try grinding down the top and try to chisel the nut loose. Other than that, you'll have remove the fingerboard.

3. darkheart

darkheart New Member

Thanks rgraf, that's kinda what I figured.
    I ended up very carefully making 2 small cuts into the nut to remove a small section with the dremel. The rest of it followed easily. Hardest part was not cutting into the threads of the rod itself.

4. frankencat

frankencat New Member

Good job! I highly recommend the StewMac truss rod rescue kit if you do this repair more than once or twice. It has made repairing Gibson truss rods a breeze in my shop.
    --Slamo