Gibson Lacquer Curing Help

Discussion in 'Glues, Fillers & Painting' started by Axelorox, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Axelorox

Axelorox New Member

Anyone have tips on how to speed up lacquer curing on Gibson guitars? I'm not a luthier but hope that the folks on here will be able to help.

I love Gibsons, but the new Gibson smell is a big drag. I have a 2017 and a 2019 Gibson acoustic and would like to find ways to have the finish offgas and stop smelling sooner, so I can play them for longer times without being overwhelmed by the fumes. No, unlike most folks, I don't like the new Gibson smell. I am dealing with the chemical smell coming from lacquer components like plasticizers, not the vanilla smell that comes from the Gibson cases.

So far I have tried leaving them out on stands around the house to air out. I also have put them on stands in a spare bathroom (otherwise not used, and the toilet lid is down to prevent evaporation), with a strong vent fan running almost 24/7 that vents out to the outdoors. But unfortunately, after several (3-5) months this has not been too successful. Over the last month in particular, the smell hasn't diminished at all. And the 2017 was hanging out in the open air at the shop for 2 years before I got it...

Are there any other strategies I can use, like fans or certain humidity levels? How long should I expect to wait before these guitars stop having a noticeable smell? I understand nitro constantly offgasses to some level, but there reaches a point where this doesn't become noticeable, as with my 1990 Gibson which just has a very pleasant wood smell. These are lovely guitars and I can't wait for the day I can spend hours playing them without the unpleasant lacquer smells.