Futura Build - Completed

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by pshupe, Nov 10, 2017.

1. pshupe

pshupe Member

I just completed a replica of a 1957 Gibson Futura (Explorer Prototype) Here are some pictures of the completed, except for finish, guitar. If you are interested in seeing the whole thread here is a link to the MLP build thread - http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/57-futura-build.392989/

Finished04.JPG Finished05.JPG
    Finished01.JPG

Finished02.JPG

Finished06.JPG

Cheers Peter.

2. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Well done! What can you tell us about the picture of the guy holding the "prototype"?

3. pshupe

pshupe Member

Futura_zps802da6ae.png This guy? Apparently he was spotted with this guitar on his front porch by the author of the photo. Kurt Linhof. Linhof is a famous guitar collector / procurer. The story goes that Kurt was driving around from guitar store to guitar store buying and trading guitars. He was a vintage guitar collector when vintage wasn't even vintage yet. He spotted this guy on his porch with this guitar on his way to a guitar shop and stopped and ended up purchasing the guitar. There were 4 - 6 made in 1957 - 58. I think 3 are still around today, which is quite astounding. I really do not know much about this particular guitar other than what google has to say about it and a very short conversation I had with someone quite knowledgeable a while back. It's a cool story though. There is another famous picture from the NAMM show in 1957, which is this one -
    1957_namm_show_gibson_futura_guitar_small.jpg This one is clearly a prototype non-functioning guitar as it has no control knobs or wiring channel. Notice the black asymmetrical triangle on the headstock that shows up in Ponty's as well. I can see why they changed the design quite a bit to the Explorer. There were some really tricky procedures required to create this design that would not survive a high production workflow.

Cheers Peter.

D.Stanley likes this.
  4. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Well done!