Fretting Roasted Maple

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Cagey, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Cagey

Cagey New Member

Has anyone here had any trouble fretting roasted Maple necks? I can't imagine why it would be any different than any other wood, but I have one here that seems to want to reject frets.

2. bmac6502

bmac6502 Member

heh. I'll let you know tomorrow. I've got one on the docket for tonight.

3. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

What method are you using to fret? Roasted maple can be kind of brittle and give way, so if the wood is giving out the fret will try to pop out.

4. bmac6502

bmac6502 Member

Fretted mine last night as planned. Seemed to go just fine. Actually, I had more problems with brittle wood on the previous one (ebony). Oh, and I hammered, not pressed. A stew mac hammer and some EVO frets.

"Roasted Maple" is a broad category though - what kind of maple? and how much was it roasted? I've seen pictures of some roasted maple fretboards that almost still looked like regular maple, and some that were purposely roasted dark enough to pass for more traditional fretboard woods. I'd be amazed if that amount of roasting didn't have some kind of impact on the workability of the wood. Mine was kind of middle of the road... A caramel kind of color.