Fretboard Radius Confusion.

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Tore Brennslett, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Tore Brennslett

Tore Brennslett New Member

Hi!
    This is my first question on this forum, but I have read a lot!☺
    My "simple" problem is, I am trying to fix a Crucianelli semi acoustic, and it needs refretting. That might work out fine, but my cauls start at 7-1/4" and the fretboard has something between 5,5 and 6" radius. I don't know if it's original or if somebody did alter the radius. The frets were filed all the way down, so it has been "worked" on. I must hereby ask what you recommend, shall I leave it that way or sand it to 7-1/4" so it fits the caul? Or make a custom caul?
    Regards, Tore from Norway.

2. Palle Clausen

Palle Clausen New Member

Are you referring to the fret press caul? You can get e.g. 6" fret press cauls or you can just make your own from a piece of brass or hardwood.
    When I need to refret odd radiused fretboards, I just bend the fretswire to a slightly tighter radius that then fretboard and hammer them in, instead of pressing them in.

3. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

if you plan to do any string bending on this guitar, then I would go with a 12" radius or even better a compound.
    5.5 or even a 7.25 is not condusive to modern playing styles. Even Fender has gotten away from the 7.25 radius these days. JMHO

But you can certainly change the radius to anything you want.
    I don't think I've ever heard of anyone paying "real Money" for a Crucianelli so I wouldn't worry about "restoration values" too much and a great "playing" guitar has its own value anyway.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  4. Marshall DeWitt

Marshall DeWitt New Member

Personally, I would not change the radius. I would just make a new caul and make sure the neck is straight before leveling the new frets. Just my thoughts.

5. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

As said above, make a new 6" caul.