Found a great spray lacquer that's cheap, too.

Discussion in 'Glues, Fillers & Painting' started by tommyd73069, Sep 28, 2013.

1. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 New Member

Stopped by Lowes the other day to grab a can of Deft Crystal Clear Lacquer Spray. I've been using it for the last year with okay results. Biggest problem I've had is that it cures slowly, and never gets rock hard. Even after 2 weeks of drying, hardware still sinks into it. It's $8 a can.

I tried Rustoleum's Clear Lacquer and get better results. It dries harder, doesn't sink, but still takes at least a week before handling it doesn't leave marks. I found it at Home Depot for $4 a can.

Well, my local HD was out and I didn't want to wait, so that's how I ended up back at Lowes. They stopped carrying Deft, but they had Valspar Clear Lacquer. So I decided to give it a try. Really glad I did.

[​IMG]

85 degrees F, 60% humidity

The Valspar is dry to touch in 30 minutes and rock hard in about 8 hours. I let is set an extra day because it still smelled like lacquer and I could leave a fingernail mark in it.

I checked it this morning with about 30 hours of cure time, it no longer smells like lacquer, fingernail mark bounces back in about a minute and dry sands to a fine dust, with no boogers on the sand paper. Minimal orange peel, leveled with 1400 grit wet and just a little elbow grease. It's $6 a can and has nearly twice as much material in the can, compared to the Deft and Rustoleum. I normally can get 3 wet coats on both sides out of a can of the others. I got 5 out of the Valspar and still have some in the can. Probably at least one more wet coat on one side. The spray nozzle is great and never sputtered once. The Deft is bad about that. Nozzle can clog mid spray. I always warm the can up in a bowl of hot water. It seems to help, but no more worries now that I found the Valspar.

I haven't installed the hardware yet, but I left the bridge sitting on my test panel overnight after 2 days drying time. It didn't leave any marks or indentations.

Anyone else used this?

Guitardude likes this.
  2. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 New Member

Just finished buffing it out. This is the Valspar Clear Lacquer Spray. Leveled and wet sanded to 1200. Buffed with a random orbital polisher from Harbor Freight ($15) with Meguiers Ultimate Compound. All my supplies came from Lowes, Home Depot or Wal-Mart. Zero problems with the nozzle or curing time. Total cure was 48 hours, before wet sanding. Then left over night after wet sanding to let out any possible trapped solvent. 72 hours total from last coat to buff. It did not smell like solvent, but I've always let paint sit for a day after the final wet sanding. Buffed it out this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

poro78 likes this.
  3. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

There's got to be something wrong in that product. :D

4. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 New Member

I know. It's been too easy. I keep expecting to walk in and see is on fire or something.

What's funny is, I've shared this at MLP and TDPRI, and gotten everything from, I use it all the time to, it's crap :scratch: That's why I've stopped asking and started just telling what I'm doing. Less confusing after the whole TruOil thing.

So far, I can't find any fault with it and it has not caught on fire.:dude:

5. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Looks like a beautiful finish! I have to look into that... :hmm:

6. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Looks fantastic. Man, I sure wish the stores in KC carried wood like that :yesway:

Guitardude likes this.
  7. emoney

emoney New Member

It's an acrylic lacquer, btw. I just used it and did some 'pre-research'. It does go on much easier, imho, than nitro. Something to keep in mind, you can spray Acrylic over nitro but you can't do the opposite. I know, I tried, lol.
    I used nitro for my color coats, btw, Watco, and I tried the MinWax Gloss on top of it, and got tiny bubbles. Thats when I switched to the Valspar and no negative interaction.

8. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 New Member

Yeah, I'm not all tangled up in that nitro/acrylic/poly nonsense. I like lacquer because it dries fast and can be re-coated anytime. On a solid-body guitar, I don't have an opinion on coatings, since I can't hear an appreciable difference. The only way to hear it is to believe, and I am not a believer in all the tone/sustain/resonance hoo-haw.

If it's that it's acrylic lacquer that makes this so easy to work with, bring on the acrylic lacquer. Really glad to hear good things about the Valspar from other builders, who's work I admire. By the way, I shot Valspar over Rustoleum's spray lacquer without any issues. I'm guessing it's acrylic lacquer, too. It dries faster and harder than Deft, which I won't bother with anymore. I'll watch out for anything I've shot in Deft. Not sure it's formulation.

9. aeleus

aeleus Active Member

This sounds very interesting. I'm thinking of using this over paint (black). Any suggestions on what kind of paint it will work over?

10. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 New Member

Valspar's Gloss Black Lacquer would be my choice. Let it cure and go back with their clear. Jeez, I sound like the freaking Valspar Rep.

I was shooting some clear today and got a clogged nozzle. It didn't stop and it didn't sputter. The spray pattern tightened up and the pressure wasn't there.

Robbed the nozzle of another can and never had another problem. The back is fully cured now and I've been wet sanding and blocking on it. This stuff buffs nicely, too. It's still pretty green to say how it will hold up.

I think someone mentioned it may be Acrylic Lacquer, not Nitrocellulose, and that they may not be compatible. You might go back and read it, if you haven't already. I started with bare wood.

11. LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil New Member

12. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

anyone know if valspar lacquer is available in Cal? I've tried 6 or stores so far, some of them have valspar but not the lacquer. I tried to get to Lowes but its too much of a mess to drive anywhere in san francisco and the store is too damn big to answer questions by phone

13. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I went online for Lowes and choose San Francisco for my store and the Valspar didn't come up. I changed my store to Stockton, where I live, and all the Vaspar showed up there. Go figure...

14. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

not shocked...

15. emoney

emoney New Member

Well, ixnay on the acrylic over nitro. That didn't work, lol.

It looked beautiful, no bubbles, et al, but after 3 weeks, it's still sticky as it was the first day. Fingerprints show up quite nicely anywhere you touch it. Gulp.

Anyway, on mine I just knocked the Valspar down and shot nitro on top and now all is well. Next time, I will use the Valspar on top of maybe a RIT Dye burst. It's a really pretty, hard looking finish, that's for sure.

16. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

that changes the equation...

17. robanomoly

robanomoly Active Member

Great looking finish! Thanks for the info. It's definitely something I'll be trying.

18. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta New Member

Minwax is pretty awesome as well.

Attached Files:

19. primrrd

primrrd New Member

i tried some. it does work well. smell reminds me of the old automotive laquer. tonight on my last coat it blushed really bad- any idea on how to fix that?

20. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 New Member

Let it sit and cure. It clouds up a little when I lay on a heavy coat. Looks like classic lacquer blush, but cures out in about a day. I don't apply any more until it clears, but it always clears. It's not fully cured and at it's final hardness for a few months. After about a month it no longer smells like lacquer and is 99% cured. The tele I shot 2 summers ago is as hard as glass and just as clear. What was great was after about 3 days, it was completely safe to handle, wet sand, assemble and play.

This is after a year and a half of being lugged to friends houses, jam sessions and sitting on the stand in the man cave. It's wearing like iron.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guitardude likes this.