First Build, Wood, Tools..

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Ilia, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Ilia

Ilia New Member

Hello, I'm want to build my first guitar. As I read, easiest guitar to build is Telecaster type. I have different kind of woods in my hand, but I think not all of them are suitable for this build. I have huge pieces of Alder(European), Wattles(acacia), Ash, small pieces of chestnut and african mahogany, some wallnut. I know alder and ash is good for body, but I don't know what to use for neck, maple is best I know :D. It's really hard to find maple in my country. Have access to some power tools, like table saw, planer, jointer, router, drill(not press drill), orbital sander. What other tools will need to use for future build ? And lastly can you recommend guitar building DVD or book that will come handy? Thanks in advance.

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

I'm a newbie builder here so keep that in mind reading my response...
    afa wood - both mahog and walnut are popular choices for a neck although I don't know of too many examples of folks using either for a fretboard (not saying it can't be done - just not as popular).
    afa tools - I think almost everything can be done with a router and jigsaw, but then some build exclusively with hand tools. The right tool will def make things easier but where there is will there is a way.
    afa books - I can't recommend as I have read none on building. There are so many talented builders posting tutorials on the internet here and in other forums... I'd start there. Depending on how much woodworking experience you have you may consider checking with your local university to see if they offer a course. safety is the one thing I think you want to learn 'hands on' face to face.
    good luck - safety first!

3. Ilia

Ilia New Member

Thanks for reply mistermikev, yeah I'm thinking about walnut neck and will order pre-slotted fretboard. Yeah my woodworking experience is really poor :D, I'm totally newbie, so I'm making other projects at first to learn and will start making guitars after some experience.

4. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

when I was in high school shop building a cedar chest for my mom out of oak... had to cut 45 degree angles in the panel edges for glue up... table saw blade only tilted one way so I figured the wood would have to go between blade and fence - it's a damn good thing someone with experience stopped me and showed me that the fence could be moved to the other side of the blade! If you don't understand this analogy - you should before you work on a tablesaw.

this is not to scare you - but to illiterate that spending some time around more experienced woodworkers is a really important notion... or at the least doing research on the common mistakes and safety with any machine you aren't familiar. The least of your concerns should be ruining wood and starting over.
    I wish you all the best!

5. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

+1 I'd hate to see you lose interest or enthusiasm by failing on your first try. Or perhaps even hurt yourself. Here's a suggestion: buy a cheap Saga kit and put it together for your first try. Yes, it won't be the best quality, but you'll learn a lot.

6. Ilia

Ilia New Member

Oh I love myself :D, when I bought table saw, my first read was about safety tips. Table saw is really scary. Thanks for your answer, I will take it into account your advice.

Yeah, great idea. Which option is better, to buy kit or mdf templates ?