Finishing Alder on a DC Jr Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Glues, Fillers & Painting' started by Fret Hopper, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Member

I am bulding a DC Jr with an alder body, and a 5 piece laminate neck (3 maple. 2 walnut).

The alder has some nice symmetrical grain running the length of the body and I would like to do a Mary Kaye style finish. I have read that it is hard to get the alder grain to come through on a Mary Kaye finish. Has anyone had any positive experience getting alder grain to show through a translucent finish? I am looking for a subtle showing of the grain, nothing dramatic.

I had posted this question on my build thread on MLP Luthiers corner, but have not gotten any responses to the questions I have posted.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

If it is helpful, I can post pics later tonight.

From the ozone...

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

With trans finish, all you're really going to get is subtle grain showing. There's not much variation in alder grain, so you'll basically never get it to pop.

3. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Member

Adam,
    I appreciate your taking the time to reply. I will post pics in the build thread I will be putting on LT. Originally I started a build thread on MLP, asked a number of questions, but got no responses on the Mary Kaye finish question. I have 765 views and only two responses - TNT423 and Barnaby. Both inspirational and helpful, but no one else chimed in.

I actually have two builds in progress - one using a GFS clearance sale body and a scratch build. I think I will post two build threads - the scratch and the pitfalls of the GFS body.

It's time for a beer and planning for the next step in my builds.

From the ozone...

Mark