Fans of Padouk wood?

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Jim Ball, May 27, 2014.

1. Jim Ball

Jim Ball New Member

Some of the best sounding flutes I have ever made were made from Padouk wood. I would think those same properties would translate into excellent guitars. This is what I have in my shop right now. The large piece is 1-15/16" x 8-3/4" x 42-1/2" to give you an idea of scale. The three smaller pieces have been sitting in my shop since 2009, so I gave them a light pass through the drum sander to bring out the color & grain. The large piece is waxed, just as it came from Gilmer Wood a couple of weeks ago.

What's your experience with Padouk? I only found one thread about a Padouk guitar on this forum, and it was an electric. I'm interested in hearing about anyone's experiences with Padouk in an acoustic, whether classical or steel-string.

[​IMG]

2. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

i like that wood, its very oily but looks spectacular. Sounds great as well. Thing is it oxidizes to brown over time. Also because its oily it can be a bit harder to glue properly.

3. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

I saw an absolutely unbelievable acoustic made from Padauk at the Ottawa guitar show this year - a smallish (parlor sized) guitar made by Mike Sankey. One of the nicest playing and sounding guitars I've seen in a really long time. If I had the money I would have bought it on the spot.

EDIT: Found the guitar on his website! http://www.sankeyguitars.com/red-velvet/

evolved_insanity likes this.
  4. Jim Ball

Jim Ball New Member

Are you thinking of a different species such as Cocobolo? Padouk is not particularly oily and takes glue very well in my experience. It does darken though, so UV inhibitors in the finish are called for.

evolved_insanity likes this.
  5. BWGuitars

BWGuitars New Member

I use padauk in smaller bits and pieces here and there. Stringers on multi-piece necks, for instance, and a thin layer between the top and body wood of a build I'm currently working on. I love working with it (smells fantastic), and I want to start using it more.

I recently got some marbled padauk, so I think there will be some padauk necks/fingerboards/tops in my future :)

Purelojik likes this.
  6. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

man when i used it it was oily as hell. could have just been that particular slab who knows. but i know for sure it was padauk. i was in india and it was on my first ever scratch build during final year of med school.

7. BWGuitars

BWGuitars New Member

That's wild. My experience with padouk has been that it's very dry too.

Natural resources... You never can tell what you're gonna deal with haha :)

Purelojik likes this.
  8. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

yea i also remember oil finishes wouldnt take on that guitar either... it was padauk though, of that im sure

9. Jim Ball

Jim Ball New Member

My guess would be that the wood was not properly dried and had too high a moisture content.

10. Jim Ball

Jim Ball New Member

I may experiment with some marine spar varnish, which contains UV inhibitors, and see whether it will slow down the darkening process on Padouk while still taking a good polish.

Edit: further reading suggests that the UV inhibitors protect the varnish and keep it from breaking down in the sunlight. :-(

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  11. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I like how it looks, but it makes me die when I use it, so I try to avoid it.

12. edadmartin

edadmartin New Member

Tung oil or tru oil is great with oily cocobolo or paduk. hard to keep yhat orange color,tends to oxidize to a brownish tone

13. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

So sad :( I too am extremely allergic to both Padauk and Cocobolo.

One of the nicest sounding acoustics I've played was a Padauk Parlour/OM (they were actually a pair in those two body shapes, and both sounded amazing) at the Kanata guitar show near Ottawa. Lovely wood :)