Excited About New Wood...

Discussion in 'Wood' started by mistermikev, Jul 3, 2018.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

so having finished up my last project I went searching for wood and found this. 8/4 x 13.5+ x 11'. $110. Seems pretty fair but what do I know. Anywho... dreaming of all the builds I'm going to do! DSCF2920.JPG DSCF2916.JPG DSCF2913.JPG

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

That should last for a while! What type of wood is it?

3. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

african mahogany

afa lasting... it's probably a lifetime supply. I really didn't need this much but most of the places where you get decent deals, can get a 13.5" piece, and be able to pick through a few, you have to buy the whole stick. They wouldn't even cut this in half, had to return with my own jigsaw so I could pick it up.

No worries, good wood will likely only get better sitting in an az garage at 110 degrees and virtually no moisture.

next on my list is an upscale dano-u2-meets-gretsch/lp with mahog back and set neck... maple top... birdseye fretboard w no radius... faux abalone binding/inlay.
    MyDanoU2Plan_full_size.jpg

4. rgraf

rgraf New Member

That's some lousy service, if they wouldn't cut the board for you. Especially considering the price. I found a real nice board years ago, and asked to have it cut. The seller said, 1$/cut, and asked which part of the board I wanted. I said, I want both halves. He said, no charge, in that case. At least they let you cut it. I was not a fan of Mahogany for looks, until I started polishing it out with Micro Mesh. With an extreme high polish, the wood is gorgeous, even the plainest of figure really comes to life. I used to avoid mahogany, because of it's rather plain figure, for the most part. However, highly polished, along with the ease of carving, makes mahogany a good option now. If you've ever seen some of the old growth Cuban stuff (the actual genuine Mahogany, the extremely large pieces from the bottom of the bole get a gorgeous pattern from the crushed grain, because of the extreme weight. The Cuban stuff weighs more like a rosewood, and is extremely hard, relative to the African or Honduran stuff, although they are still excellent to work with. I've got a chunk of the Cuban wood, although it is a rather plain figure, it weighs a ton, so I think I'm going to end up with serious brick of a Les Paul.

5. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

$18 per body blank seems pretty good to me compared to the $70+ most online places want for a two piece... so I'm pretty happy. same place had some really nice curly maple 4/4 for $4/bf too... bought a bunch of that as well. now just have to get more time to build! cheers