Dual truss rods

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Jenious, Jun 5, 2013.

1. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Rickenbacker has used dual truss rods on their basses for a long time .

2. Vince Michael Guitars

Vince Michael Guitars New Member

ive been putting dual rods in my basses since late 80s early 90s. I use them sometimes on 5's, depending on neck woods used, and most of the time on 6's or more, unless im using multi-lam super hard woods in the neck construction. ive also been constructing the necks so the rods are removable just as long. I almost always make the rods removable unless im doing some kind of off the wall different build and the rod is adjustable from the body area in a neck thru build. I rarely do this anymore. if its a one way rod, which I build myself, I am able to take the rod out spin it 180 degrees and reinsert it if any backbowing of the neck has occurred with the rod in neutral tension, I am able to remove it. check the video spinning the rod and reinserting.

I also would use double rods in 8 or more string guitars, unless its a super hard wood multi lam. (bubinga, purpleheart, etc)

<edit> ok, video wont work, ill figure it out. I think its something to do with photobucket and mp4 files......

[​IMG]

dual rods in a 6 string bass

[​IMG]

removable rod in guitar neck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jenious likes this.
  3. mattinthehat7492

mattinthehat7492 New Member

Holy mother of resaw blades! Sorry for the completely off topic derailment but that thing is incredible

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I've been itching to use the one we have at work, seems like it'd do a fantastic job with the figured maple blanks I have.

The way I see a truss rod is that the wood taken out isn't as strong as the rod put in. The only time, IMO, that you'd make the neck weaker with a truss rod is if you route too deep or carve the neck too thin.

5. Vince Michael Guitars

Vince Michael Guitars New Member

3" blade, damn things are expensive. I need to figure out how to sharpen them myself or find someone who does it for a reasonable price. I tear them up cutting a lot of snakewood and other dense hard woods.

6. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

we have several local sharpening services here that will pickup and deliver for a pretty reasonable fee.. I'm betting there is someone like that in your town.

7. Fiddlydiddly

Fiddlydiddly New Member

What direction do I turn my truss rods in my 8 string? Right tight? Or are they special? Dual truss of course...

8. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

normally, turning the adjusting nut clockwise will produce a backbow while counter clockwise will produce a forward bow. but as with any truss rod always procede with caution.