Dual Strats Build(s)

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by mistermikev, Feb 1, 2019.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

just wanted to share my current endeavor... 2 strats. One slightly more traditional, one "radical"! Truth be told, after I bought my 25.5" scale rosewood fretboard I was regretting not going with a 25" scale because that sl just fits me... so I figured it isn't that much more work to build 2 so why not, after all - I want me to be happy!

Here are the concept drawings...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some details:

[​IMG]

my templates:
    [​IMG]

rough cut weight...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

got both my bodys fully hogged out, belly cut 'steps' in... both right at 3lbs.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

so, got my radius jig somewhat setup. need to fine tune it a bit... trim off the ends, add some teflon spacers from a cutting board to my router mount so it won't rock, and trim off just a hair from the inside of it so it slides a little bit easier. I want a little bit of resistance so I decided to forgo the bearings.

[​IMG]

the convex version is sitting on my rails with approx 1.75" of room I could move downward, and the sled is sitting 2.25 high. this is about perfect as the blade needs to stick out 1/2" from the bottom to achieve a 30" radius. adjusting this thing is sort of a pain and since the concave version sits a hair low... think I'll probably just mount a couple of 2x4s to raise the body up instead. have enough clearance to do 22" piece so perfect for a body. a bit tired so this is as far as we go tonight.

[​IMG]

3. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

last night I roughed out my two necks... learned why birdseye is often called 'rock maple' (it's not because it's meant for rock n roll). long story long I probably ruined a fairly new timber wolf blade with a kink as I tried to back out of a cut and it was bound (saw was off).

[​IMG]

my wood grain dictated to me that the bolt version is going to be a rev headstock... I had to agree.

[​IMG]

flamed maple piece isn't looking so bad either. really big wide flames in this so can't wait to see it planed down. almost looks like quilt when you catch it at the right angle. lots of little tan flecks on this piece so figured I try out a neck in it.[​IMG]

cut a small piece of birdseye for the bolt version. neck pickups will mount to this and spring claw will screw into it. need to remove the cove edge so it sits flush will likely do that next.

[​IMG]

========== update 02/17/19 ==========

"like all the bowling alleys had been destroyed... sos I spent most my time looking for beer". and that would explain why all I have to show for the last two weeks is the following...

here's how I did my neck pocket for the bolt on w 7" radius at heel: 1 rough cut around neck pocket leaving approx 1/8" gap, cover neck template with masking tape...

[​IMG]

2 clamp everything down and ensure it is on center...[​IMG]

3 fill 1/8" gap with epoxy...[​IMG]

4 break the pieces apart - later I will use this as a guide to make a 3/4" template. [​IMG]

same process for my trem rout cover...

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

made some truss rod templates:[​IMG]

finished neck pockets:

[​IMG]

4. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

kept checking my birdseye and it was stable over the last two weeks (since I rough cut it) so I planed it down and it's ready for final shape cut.

[​IMG][​IMG]

made a template for my gretsch inlays... will lay this at an angle on the fretboard to keep the inlay flat on the radius and then dremel out the areas...[​IMG]

got my set neck stock planed down and sanded...

[​IMG]

installed my truss rod in the bolt version. used a bull nose 1/4 in combo with a normal 1/4 bit so that the bottom of the channel is mostly radiused except for the parts where the truss requires a flat bottom. sharpened my chisel and cut some corners... voilla, fits like a glove.[​IMG][​IMG]

and that's all I got in me today! man am I beat!

========== update 2/23/19 ==========

using my jig to cut the truss access holes in the fretboard... shims to prop it up to square...

[​IMG]

and here is my truss access closeup

[​IMG]

had a tiny little blowout on the very edge of the bottom wing on the headstock... only about 1/8" but I couldn't find the piece so I routered out about 3/16 x 3/16 x 1/2 and glued on a small piece... area will be covered by headstock overlay and binding anyway. the dark spot is a shallow burn mark where I stopped w my router also will be covered.

[​IMG]

and all better!

used a couple of finish nails to line up and hold the bolt version fretboard on...

[​IMG]

and glued up the fretboard for the bolt version...

[​IMG]

5. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

forstnered (is that a verb?) out my neck pocket for my set version...

[​IMG]

and routered out the pocket... she's sitting 1/4 (top) + 1/8 (typical fender overhang) above so will have to barely touch things with the radius when I get there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

made a funny video...

neck joint test

[​IMG]

routed my inlays using the jig above... but this time at an angle to minimize sanding. got my inlays all ready to be cut, will take them out, glue up the neck, trim it, then reinstall them.

[​IMG]

also redid my wiring diagram for the strat style... think I might use a piece of vero board to make wiring in the pickups (and potential replace) easier.

[​IMG]

got my neck paddle routered down...

[​IMG]

routed my wire channels, got my bolt neck pocket done...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

==========update 03/02/19==========

so here is a bondo caul I made for my veneer process...

[​IMG]

and glamour shot of my caul...

[​IMG]

click here for video regarding bondo caul!

one thing of note: next time put down some wax paper and I won't end up with a scrap piece glued to my headstock!

anywho... sanded down my inlays and cropped my veneer.

[​IMG]

rough cut my headstock overlay...[​IMG]

glued it down...[​IMG]

and trimmed it for binding...[​IMG]

here is a pile of parts. took me 3 buys to get a black jack with no blemishes! gotoh for the win![​IMG]

had hoped to start doing my radius this weekend but remember I still had to glue on some pieces to keep the base from rocking so... that will dry by tomorrow so hopefully!

got my set neck "rough bound" last night.

[​IMG]

started working the rosewood p

6. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

ickup covers...[​IMG][​IMG]

and..... the moment I've all been waiting for: radius... a lot more physical work than I had anticipated as going from cavity to wood you really have to be careful it doesn't grab... but other than that it went pretty smooth.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DRF

DRF Member

Interesting builds, I radius half my models too. I like the idea of cutting out the control cavity all the way thru and then gluing on the top. The tummy cut steps are neat.

8. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

thank you sir. pretty quiet in here so nice to know someone noticed! Never would have guessed that my 'steps' would be so popular but several people have commented on them at other forums... was just a means to an end but nice to hear all the same! thank you again.

9. adamb

adamb New Member

maybe I missed it, but did you make your own pickups, or just veneer them? they look great!
    I'm intrigued with your radius'er, very crafty. I could really use something like that!
    Keep up the great work!

10. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

thanks for the reply. I haven't gone down the 'wind-yer-own' rabbet hole yet. These are bootstraps. I just roughed up the top of the covers, took some veneer and used ca glue to apply to the top. Then took needle files and worked it over.
    thank you on the radius! I've got an idea of how to do a compound radius, and then how to expand on that into a 3d radius... just in my head at this point tho. THERE'S JUST NOT ENOUGH DAY IN A DAY!!!!

11. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

so the blue is finally done!

would very much appreciate it if you have the time to give a listen and feedback - here's a youtube video demo: demo

here are some finished shots...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

and some more glamour shots...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

DRF likes this.