Dual Strats Build(s)

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by mistermikev, Feb 1, 2019.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

just wanted to share my current endeavor... 2 strats. One slightly more traditional, one "radical"! Truth be told, after I bought my 25.5" scale rosewood fretboard I was regretting not going with a 25" scale because that sl just fits me... so I figured it isn't that much more work to build 2 so why not, after all - I want me to be happy!

Here are the concept drawings...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some details:

[​IMG]

my templates:
    [​IMG]

rough cut weight...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

got both my bodys fully hogged out, belly cut 'steps' in... both right at 3lbs.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

so, got my radius jig somewhat setup. need to fine tune it a bit... trim off the ends, add some teflon spacers from a cutting board to my router mount so it won't rock, and trim off just a hair from the inside of it so it slides a little bit easier. I want a little bit of resistance so I decided to forgo the bearings.

[​IMG]

the convex version is sitting on my rails with approx 1.75" of room I could move downward, and the sled is sitting 2.25 high. this is about perfect as the blade needs to stick out 1/2" from the bottom to achieve a 30" radius. adjusting this thing is sort of a pain and since the concave version sits a hair low... think I'll probably just mount a couple of 2x4s to raise the body up instead. have enough clearance to do 22" piece so perfect for a body. a bit tired so this is as far as we go tonight.

[​IMG]