Dual action truss rod install question

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Nateswoodworks, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Nateswoodworks

Nateswoodworks New Member

Wow this place is great, sure would have saved me many hours of looking elsewhere!
    Now for the question, my son and I are building his guitar with a flat head stock, locking nut, and dual action truss rod. The channel for the truss rod puts the access hole directly under the locking nut with no wood in between them. This is different from other ones I have seen– but those also only have a standard truss rod. Stewmac suggests using silicone under the brass ends of the truss rod to adhere it down and this will make sure that the nut for the truss rod and locking nut never make contact. When you would look into the hole you would see the shape U instead of O. I could flip the truss rod so the access hole was lower creating more room between the hole and locking nut but that would increase the drop between the fretboard and the surface of the headstock and mu son really likes the design we already have (we are copying the neck from a Suhr). I don't see a problem with this plan but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or that there wasn't a better choice.
    Thank you and God bless
    nate.

2. pshupe

pshupe Member

A picture would help. I'm not sure I completely understand the question. Thanks.

Cheers Peter.