Dreadnought build

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Brian I, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Brian I

Brian I New Member

I started this dreadnought las night and decided to post the progress here. The materials are Engelmann spruce for the top, Indian rosewood back, sides, and rosette, 2 piece genuine mahogany neck, Madagascan rosewood fretboard, headplate, bridge, and ebony binding.

So far, all I've done is join the back and top plates and thicknessed them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

Great looking wood - how thick did you plane the spruce?

3. Brian I

Brian I New Member

Thanks, I don't know the thickness as I don't use a caliper or use a set thickness for planing guitar plates, but I'd imagine it's about .1" with it being thinner and thicker in certain areas. My biggest influences are the great classical makers (Torres, Ramirez, Garcia, etc.), so I constantly flex and tap the plate while planing. Much like their guitars, there is never an equal thickness across the whole top.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  4. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

my first guitar build was a stewmac dreadnaught - only took about 18 months to complete - finish one step and then find out that I need another tool or part - it was an exercise in patience for sure. It sounds really killer with a nice focused voice that a lot of people notice. One thing I did was to leave out the transverse brace under the fretboard on the recommendation of somebody on the net - I think its what really opened it up. What plan are you using?