Custom/self-made Individual Bridge

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by Eumldeuml, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml New Member

Hello all :)

Recently I got my hands on a quite mighty CNC-machine which lets me also cut aluminum and even steel (but I won't do that right now, still too afraid to break stuff xD).
    Now that I have endless possibilities I'd love to make my own individual saddles like the ones from hipshot.
    I've had some ideas of how to design them but I'm still not happy.. My dream is that I don't need to have the strings run through the body and also be able to adjust the string height (and intonation of course) without much hassle.
    Does anyone of you have ideas on how to do that? I've already tried to take inspiration from pictures on the Internet but I couldn't find the perfect solution yet :(

Thanks for reading (and replying? :D)

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you're going to get much help on how to engineer guitar parts from other guitar builders...

I've made my own bridges in the past though, and find it generally not worth it, unless you have a killer feature, and in that case, you should be patenting it. The amount of time spent machining, money spent plating/finishing just makes it too expensive.

3. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml New Member

That's a good point, although I don't count the time spent as an expense since I love building stuff (and I also want to do it by myself, for the challenge and also because there's no use in having the best tolls if I'm not going to use them).
    If it works out I could make them for half the price of hipshot parts and sell them... hmm :scratch::fingersx:

4. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml New Member

Well, here it is... :D

5. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

For a uke - that is one over-engineered bridge.

6. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml New Member

Yes it is, but it's also a proof of concept ;)

7. Leo

Leo Member

Nice work!

Looks like you've got a ton of intonation adjustment range.

One suggestion: I always prefer to be able to make fine intonation adjustments using a screw, rather than pushing the saddle back and forth by hand. Easier to zero in on the intonation in my experience.

8. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml New Member

Thanks Leo :)
    You are totally right, this concept has some flaws but I wanted something that's not so conventional. I didn't set up the guitar/uke/whatever yet, so I don't know how much pain in the ass the intonation will be... :D