Curious To What Everyones Feelings On Gibson Are.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Aaron V, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Aaron V

Aaron V New Member

What do you guys think of gibson as a company? Personally, I think their guitars are great, but every time I've had to work with/get parts, they make things so much more difficult than every other major brand I've dealt with. It seems to me that they have stopped caring about their customers, and have just become an ego machine.

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Gibsons aren't great. Every one of their instruments that they put out have flaws. They are inconsistent as hell. That said, every once in a while they make a guitar that just kills, and the paint flaws and other issues they have can be overlooked, because the guitar just sounds and plays great. That's not the norm though, and most people have to try several Gibsons before they find that one. I've also heard from former employees that it's not a great place to work at, so that may have something to do with it.

I'm not a huge fan of Collings from an employment standpoint, but they put out a MUCH better product than Gibson, having seen the entire production process there, they are tops when it comes to building quality guitars every time. The people that are behind a Collings are all great, they love what they do, and they take much pride in making some of the best guitars in the world.

3. Aaron V

Aaron V New Member

i definitely agree with you about their inconsistency. One of my buddies bought a les Paul custom, spent over a grand, direct from the factory. They never slotted the nut on it. When he called them about it they tried to tell him that the slotting is part of the first setup, and refused to do anything to amend the situation.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  4. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Member

I own a couple of Gibson guitars (SG & LP) and an Epiphone LP guitar. They are all great guitars because I bought them directly out of a music store. I was able to play, check, and feel the guitars before buying them. I know Gibsons are over-priced and so that's why I buy them used. I've played many Gibsons in the music store and some didn't really thrill me at all. And I'm not a big fan of Henry J. myself...I think he is the "Anti-Guitar Hero".:mrburns:

5. Aaron V

Aaron V New Member

So I had to call gibson for a job I was doing today...I was fully expecting it to be awful as usual. I'm shocked and happy to say. For the first time in ever, they were actually helpful...is this the first sign of the apocalypse?

HEADKNOCKER likes this.
  6. Tonedragon

Tonedragon New Member

They stopped giving a shit in the 70' the started caring in the early 90's. Revamped the tooling and jigs. Then slowly controlled there own collectors marked by re-naming last years line up. Thus suckering in more and more collectors each year, by adding one element from the original burst each year.
    Now they ran out of fairy dust last year...And are reissuing the better known (by Collectors only) real burst by name Sandy, Principal Skinner??? Red eye, Brown eye,....Ext ext

And the custom shop is still a CNC with 29 people sanding out router marks.

Just my opinion..I did get sucker'd into One
    2007 59' dark burst...Killer top

7. Tim & Allison Whiteside

Tim & Allison Whiteside New Member

And the headstocks snap off......a lot. To thin and a bad angle make for easy pickings in the busted neck area. Although, I have made a nice chunk of change fixing them. On second thought, don't change a thing Gibson

8. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

I've owned multiple Gibsons for over 10 years and never had a reason to call them. I think you'll find that a company's customer service quality depends a lot on the specific issue at hand and the performance of the individual representative. I've had great as well as terrible service from a large number of companies over the past decades; it doesn't mean the companies are good or bad, just indicative of that small sample of individual experiences. I also find that forums like this tend to have a few very vocal detractors for any company (fill in the blank), while the vast majority with good service experience typically stays quiet. I would base judgement on my own experiences.

9. jayjackson

jayjackson New Member

Way in the past I owned some gibsons like in 1973. But now I wouldn't buy a new one way over priced. I guess they have to make up for the money loss Due to their other Bad investments out side of the stringed instrument part of the companie.

10. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

My Non-luthier feedback, but rather from a general business standpoint, is as follows: If your concern is based on personal purchase (sizable in cost considering namebrand), it might be wise to read business articles on the company's future plans.

Be well, Jeff.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019