Crazy Maple Burl Build Thread

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Purelojik, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

Ok so im starting this thread to catalog my build using this crazy ass burl.

First things first, cutting and gluing and finish testing. Two of the finishes im experimenting with are Behlen's Master Gel which seems to be urethane based. I actually love the consistency. And i decided to try out Teak Oil after seeing how awesome it made Aaron's Blackwater guitars look. The teak oil adds some yellow amber color which is desirable but on the maple top it tends to obscure some of the more subtle color and figure which the Master Gel seems to enhance. I think i'll just end up using the Master gel for the top and the teak oil for the back.

here's some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Rosewood (?) neck and burl – nice!

I like this body style ... looking forward to it.
    Good luck and save working!

Purelojik likes this.
  3. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

OK so i finished the carve, i basically make a lip with the dremel sanding wheel and then smooth everything out with the dremel and a mouse detail sander using 80 grit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It'll be further smoothed with progressive grits.

MINERAL SPIRITS!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

man this particular sapele is super dark brown and rich. the great part is the chatoyance is amazing, from the darkness you'll see the golden highlights from the striped grain. man i love the natural beauty of wood. i'll round the backside, i've found this model doesnt need a tummy carve. i'll make templates for the cavity and cover. Then its time to get the roasted maple build up to speed.

now its time to make necks....not my favorite time at all. but what to do.

4. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta New Member

Beautiful piece of Maple you have selected for this build.

Purelojik likes this.
  5. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I love making necks. What don't you like about it? For me the neck IS the guitar, it's what makes our breaks the whole thing.

aeleus and Purelojik like this.
  6. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Yeah, neck carving is my favorite bit too, followed closely by body profile carving.

I like that body style and those wood choices. Very classy. What are you doing for a fretboard?

7. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

As always, gorgeous work!

Purelojik likes this.
  8. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

well its not that i really dont like it, its just after seeing the body in this state i just wanna add pups and play it lol. its more just me being impatient. I think next time i'll just make a bunch of necks and then when i hit this stage everything will move faster. the one the i can easily say i hate is RADIUSING fretboards....its so mundane, i think i really need to look into making a radiusing jig.

i LOVE carving the neck, thats my favorite part, i get frustrated with pressing in frets because i always mess up somewhere. now at least i got some pre bent pre radiused fretwire so that should help.

Thanks for the compliments dude!

[​IMG]

its the pau ferro fretboard on the right, the darker of the two. the lighter one i used in that carved top walnut guitar.

9. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Nice. I was hoping it'd be something like makassar ebony, but that dark pau ferro looks cool.

:yesway:

10. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

Wicked, man. I always dig your choices of timber.

Purelojik likes this.
  11. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

macassar ebony is my fingerboard of choice, but i wanna try new woods and see how each works. i have two indian rosewood fb's that are going on my roasted maple and my walnut flattops. so thats a first as well. they look gorgeous, dark like ebony but with some purpleish streaks

12. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

Spent some time at the shop in downtown LA for a bit after work. I was able to round the bottoms of both the Burl Maple as well as the Roasted Maple top. I had a near tragedy though... while using the router table i must have came in at an acute angle or something with the upper horn and it just burst. I quickly just re did the curve of the upper horn on the bandsaw with the template attached and sanded it a bit and BAM back to business. its a tad shorter but it still looks damn good. and the great thing is i made two templates in the beginning incase something like this ever happens. This has never happened with my trim router and i usually hog much more wood off lol. maybe just user error combined with a dull bit

here's how the burls sides are looking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's how the Roasted Maple build is doing. Check the blog for more pics too. FEAST YOUR EYES

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jkes01 and Ronsonic like this.
  13. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

So i couldnt sleep last night so i decided to do this. i felt much better now that something was in clamps and ready to move to the next steps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jay Jillard suggested i use Titebond Original instead after seeing this picture on facebook so i think i'll go with that. He said TB3 creeps over time. Judging my the work he does, im not gonna think twice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jay Jillard and Knarbens like this.
  14. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard New Member

my bad for not answering your follow up question on facebook lol.

you will still have good open time with tb1, it dries hard and holds strong.

i don't know for sure what makes tb3 creep, but i've watched it do it on one of my early guitars underneath paint. my theory was 3>1 so 3 must be better. its just more ideal for other situations, tb1 is where its at in the guitar world.

Purelojik likes this.
  15. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

man that was my theory too. I was thinking that if they made a 3rd version it has to be better than the first two.....

well i trust you dude, and i did some reading and checked out my first build i used tightbond 3 with and you are correct. it does creep, not too bad but still..

thanks for the heads up jay. any other tips you can offer along the way feel free to post, i love learning from the Pro's. its how i get better at my obsessive hobby.

Jay Jillard likes this.
  16. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard New Member

yeah, if i see anything that worries me when people build, i'll try to kindly point it out, but other than that i try to not say too much and let people develop their own style of doing things =]

no need to cram my theories down people's throats

Purelojik likes this.
  17. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

i like your style jay, thanks

18. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

scarf's done with this one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gonna do the same for the roasted maple build as well then take both down to the shop for routing and profiling .

19. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

Progress!!!

Went to downtown artist space again and Burris helped me make a template to route the truss rod channel of the burl maple neck. I got to use the new carbide bit made specifically for hot rod truss rods. Burris was amazingly helpful and made an acrylic template to serve as a guide for the fence on the router table.

I also chose a beautiful burl maple (it could also be ash) veneer from my sample pack. This pack was worth the money. I also cut out a matching one for the back portion to tidy the glue line up.

It makes me happy when I can leave something clamped overnight. Tomorrow I’ll roughly clean up the headstock, I’ll glue the fretboard then maybe thurs ill glue the back veneer. Next week it’s back to the shop for neck taper cutting as well as fretboard radiusing and fret installation using these new Jescar frets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yep thats my bathroom.. lol

20. Knarbens