complicated binding contraptions the only way?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by The Outlaw, Oct 13, 2013.

1. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

im trying to wrap my head around the stuff needed for binding but just getting more and more lost. it looks like i have 3 options:

1. Spend $100 on the SM precision router base complete set for dremel which will probably kill my dremel in no time

2. spend $325 on the SM True channel binding jig setup that will work like a champ and not kill my router but costs so much i dont think i can swing it without cutting corners in other areas

3 build my own binding channel routing jig. i really dont want to do this because im already freaking out about all the other jigs n crap i need to make and i dont want to waste time fixing screwups.

is there any better options that wont cost as much as the $300 setup but work better than the $100 setup for dremel?

anyone upgrade recently and want to sell their old binding setup?:rofl:

2. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

ouch!! and i think the true channel system only works with laminate trimmers so i'd need one of those also since i only have full size 1-3/4 and 2-1/4 hp routers.

3. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

built it for about $30.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

i've seen many built like that but i dunno if i could pull it off and have it work right. building a tool for a job you've never done yet seems like an accident waiting to happen :rofl:

wouldnt happen to have a link to detailed plans would you? i might just give it a shot. if i can build one of those thats an extra $300 i can spend on tools lol

5. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Looks pretty simple, really. A couple of cabinet slides, a screen door spring, some brackets and some 1/2" plywood.

TKOjams likes this.
  6. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

i was going on little sleep and being stupid. i still think its a bit complicated but i havent even started building my first guitar and if i cant atleast attempt making that to save $200 i shouldnt even be considering guitar building.

any idea where i can find step by step plans even a noob can understand on how to make one of those?

7. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

No plans used, like my builds this too was built "by the seat of the pants" :D
    There may be plans out there somewhere but I don't know where they are.

8. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

Hi, you might want to consider building a guitar w/out binding - there's plenty to choose from...

9. emoney

emoney New Member

I, for one, spent $20.00 at Harbor Freight for a trim router that came with a bearing edge-guide...glued a small furniter coaster on the bottom and I've had no issues.

Moreso than the contraption, the right bit is key here, I believe. They're pricey everywhere, but making sure the base can stay perpendicular to the edge can be handled a myriad of ways.

10. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

got any pics of that setup?

11. nuance97

nuance97 Member

I built a binding machine a while back. It rides up and down on ball bearing drawer slides. It works good even with my el cheapo Harbour Freight trim router. Total cost under $20 plus like $29 for the router. I have now done 5 Les Pauls with it, and I can't find anything I don't like about the thing.
    [​IMG]

I made the little doughnut outta maple.
    [​IMG]

in action...
    [​IMG]

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would spend $300 on a binding fixture when this design is so easy to fabricate, and works so beautifully.

Midnight Shadow, TKOjams and pulaifax like this.
  12. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

i need to find plans for one of these things. is there an easy way to make the donut? i've only got simple tools. im guessing that would be a job for the ROSS when it gets here?

13. emoney

emoney New Member

Heck yeah, man;
    [​IMG]
    That plastic thing on the bottom of the router base is a furniture coaster picked up from Wally world for $4.00 I think for a pack of 4. It allows the base to remain level when going around a carved top.

14. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

THIS is the closest i could find to the one you posed but it doesnt seem to come with the guide. not seeing anything else that looks like it either

wonder if they stopped selling it. sounds like the ticket if i could find one.

15. nuance97

nuance97 Member

That's the same router I have. It will
    do the job.

16. nuance97

nuance97 Member

Here's how I made my doughnut. I didn't take photos. :(

When I made mine I used 3/4" stock, but ended up thinning it after the doughnut was made to about 1/2" cause the router bit wouldn't reach so start with 1/2" stock.

Take a compass and draw three circles one around 2.5", the second one should be the same diameter as the bit you will use, and the third is the diameter of your bit plus 1/8-5/32" (this will be the flat ledge that rides along the body).

Next cut on the 2.5" outside line.

Then I drilled through the center with a 3/8" hole and glued a short piece of dowel in (1.5" long maybe).

I chucked the dowel up in my hand drill and started shaping the doughnut on my belt sander. Just be careful not to shape away what will be your ledge. You could also chuck into a drill press if you wanted to.

Once it is shaped to your liking cut off the dowel flush, lay the puck flat and drill your through hole. It will obviously need to be slightly larger than the outside diameter of your router bit.

The overall diameter of the puck is not critical, and might be better if it is a little smaller. The puck works best if the little flat area is very small and the curved sides are very steep.

17. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

emoney is this the one?

Buffalo Tools TRIMRBX Electric Trimmer Router - Routers
    [​IMG]

18. LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil New Member

i take it that travels freely up & down so if that was able to be locked (or built) at a certain height would that negate the need for a donut?
    I was going to make something like this without the sliding up & down mechanism for an overhead pin style setup?

19. emoney

emoney New Member

That's the one, and the donut is a plastic furniture coaster glue to the bottom, after you've drilled a hole in the center big enough for the bit to go through.

Make sure you keep your bit sharp and that will work just fine. Probably not as fast as some of these jigs are, but effecient.

20. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

sweet ill be picking one up asap.