Colored a top different than before.

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Brock, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Brock

Brock New Member

In the past, I would mainly do a solid color on the tops of my guitars. When I would want to burst them, I would color the lacquer with tint and spray a burst. Sometimes this would cause too much of a build up of lacquer if the color wasn't to my liking and I'd have to sand and retry. On this current build, I made the base coat to my liking and rubbed it on with a cloth. Then I mixed up some amber maple tint and rubbed on the burst. I started wide going around the body. I let that dry and added another layer on top of that, just a little thinner. Let that dry and then added another even thinner area.
    After it was all dry, I could see the water line, so I took the original base coat and rubbed the water lines out. This gave me a nice faded vintage type burst I was happy with.
    This is just what worked for me.... Anyone else found a better way to do this? Any ideas and comments will be appreciated.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

jcsimons and Zeegler like this.
  2. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard New Member

thats basically how i do stuff too, except i don't let it dry inbetween. my top is wet during the whole burst. I find using the water to blend things can help a lot.

3. Brock

Brock New Member

Interesting.... I'll have to try that to see how it blends. Thank you.

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I spray my stain bursts, you can do it without a booth and all.

5. emoney

emoney New Member

I used to use RIT Dye and hand rub them, but now I've gone the airbrush route and I like this way. I spray my base color, then add a little darker dye to that and spray the "inner burst"..then, a little darker still to get the outside burst. Only have to use one bottle that way, if you're staying in the same family that is.