CNC Tele curved truss slot . .

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by costo, Dec 21, 2015.

1. costo

costo New Member

Hello, any CNC guys out there who can help me with my curved truss slot. I am using Cut3D and VCarve Pro.. I have tried drawing the slot with the curved bottom, exporting it to a .STL and bringing it into Cut3D to generate GCode.. I have also tried importing it into VCarve Pro and I still have no toolpath that works the way I drew it.

I am making a hollow Cabronita with a one piece maple neck and a traditional curved single action truss rod.. Currently creating a jig to cut hole for head-stock access for adjustment. The drawing contains all of the info I used to create my slot. Creating all my other tool paths have gone smoothly and thought the curved slot would be a breeze. If anyone has any experience i would appreciate it..

Thanks
    Costantino

Attached Files:

2. aeleus

aeleus Active Member

After trying many different programs, I use Autodesk's Fusion 360. I can sketch, model and generate/simulate G-code all in one program. It's seriously capable, but still relatively easy to use.

I was able to get a free hobbyist/educational license.

cloudy likes this.
  3. pshupe

pshupe Member

I also have a small CNC machine and that software. I have struggled with getting it to so things like this. I am of the opinion that while you should be able to do this, it may be easier and quicker to do it with a jig and a hand held, or router table.

Some of the other CNC software would do that without issue, but I have found the vectric stuff challenging to do what is considered 3d, other than carving animals etc.

You could look at other software like mach3 and a like where you can just have it follow an arc in the Z direction but it's a pretty steep learning curve and not cheap.

Cheers Peter.

4. costo

costo New Member

I figured it out . . Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. Marty M.

Marty M. New Member

A little late to the party from the other posts, but this may be useful down the road. What I did was use 2d for the truss rod slot. The neck program I created involves a mix of 2d and 3d generated code in modular fashion. The 3D is the actually neck carve. The 2d is for the perimeter cut, hole drilling, and truss rod slot. By doing it this way, I can change the carve profile and keep everything else the same.

In CAD, I drew the rod slot lines on its side and then added an approach and exit line to it. I only used the line representing the lower edge of the slot from the DXF drawing.

Then I divided the curved portion into shorter segments. I think I divided it into 30 or 40 short segments. Next I located points at the ends of all the segments and removed the curves leaving just the points.

Connecting the points with straight lines and converting all that to gcode produced a Y and X measurement for each line.

Then in notepad, I replaced the letter X's with the letter Z's. A sign or letter change may be necessary depending on which way you draw your line and in which quadrant on the grid. If you need a wider slot, you then change the x value a bit after the first pass, and go back to the beginning and repeat. You end up with a curved rout made from a bunch of straight cuts. Obviously you should edit and test your code out before you go into the wood.