Burst with Tru Oil?

Discussion in 'Glues, Fillers & Painting' started by Zach.H, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

I've been pretty dissatisfied on my strat I got from a spray can. Never properly hardened and looked nasty up close.

Before (didn't bother tidying it up e.g. screwing down pickguard):
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I want to keep the burst, but I want to use tru oil for the finish. The problems that I've had testing it on scrap are: if I try to sand the tru oil I loose my burst. But I havent had much luck getting a level pore free surface any other way. Has anyone gotten around that problem before?

This guy uses stained oil to do the burst and uses shellac over the top, but I'm worried about getting an uneven finish with just tru oil
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUyUlme3GsE"]How to Apply a Cherry Busrt Danish Oil Finish (Part 1) - Dom's Juke Box - YouTube[/ame]

What I'm thinking at the moment is doing a light burst on the wood multiple times to try to get it to stain a bit deeper, and then tint my tru oil to get the full burst so hopefully I can still level it between coats without loosing my burst. Any better ideas?

Also I've brewed my own tru oil because of a lack of gun shops close by. Pretty much equal parts turps, varnish and boiled linseed oil depending on how thick I want it.

Attached Files:

2. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta New Member

You can tint Tru-Oil.

3. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

I'm planning on using Tru-Oil on my LP build, so this is very relevant to my interests. I have a lot of notes I collected off other forums for gloss TO finishes, but I don't know of anything therein that addresses your issue.

4. tone57

tone57 Member

how about staining the wood
    sanding back,leaving most of the edges and emphasizing the middle until you have the basic burst you want.
    Then use the oil to finish?
    I really like Tru-Oil for finishing.

Luthier-Atlanta likes this.