Building Cabinet

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Matteo Baratella, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Matteo Baratella

Matteo Baratella New Member

Hello everybody, my name is Matteo Baratella, I am from Italy, I am trying to build my first guitar cabinet for the Marshall AVT150H pre-amp head. (150 watt output - impendence 4/8 ohm).

My cabinet...

.. is 70 x 70 x 30 cms = 27,5 x 27,5 x 11,8 inches with a thickness of 1,8 cms = 7,08 inches.

My questions concern which speakers to choose. (I would like 12' speakers)
    I would like to mix one 12' Celestion and one 12' Jensen speaker.

- Do I have to overcome the watt head output of 150 watts?
    So, do I have to buy one 80 watt Celestion and one 80 watt Jensen = 160 watt output cabin power (?)

- Can I mix these two different brands? How can I know which one will not match with the other?

- Do I have to worry about the internal liters of my cabin even if it's an open back cabin?

Thank you for your time
    Have a nice day!!
    Matteo

2. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

My questions concern which speakers to choose. (I would like 12' speakers)
    I would like to mix one 12' Celestion and one 12' Jensen speaker.

- Do I have to overcome the watt head output of 150 watts?
    So, do I have to buy one 80 watt Celestion and one 80 watt Jensen = 160 watt output cabin power (?)

- Can I mix these two different brands? How can I know which one will not match with the other?

- Do I have to worry about the internal liters of my cabin even if it's an open back cabin?

yes you can mix speakers. I cant predict the tone though. its an experiment.

its obviously much safer to have the same speaker wattage as head power.
    but you "can" get away with having about 1/4 less than head wattage and run that way for a long while. So at least 110 watts worth of Speaker would do fine.

you can mix brands no problem just make sure they are the same OHMs load rateing.

About the only time you need to be concerned with "enclosure air space" is when your trying to create a cabinet that has a very specific resonant frequency range.. Such as a bass or Sub bass enclosure.
    Most guitar cabs are considered to be "Full range" and therefore they don't need any specific tuning. ESPECIALLY with open back designs.

Of course your welcome to make any kind of cab you wish and port it in any manner you wish. there are no hard and fast rules. only what sounds best to your ear.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017