Build Or Buy?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by drguitar78, Apr 3, 2019.

?

Should I build or buy?

1. Build

100.0%
  2. Buy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. drguitar78

drguitar78 New Member

I have a friend who has “built” a few guitars from parts on warmoth. I told him I’m in the market for a new fender performer series strat (hss) @ $1099 and he offered to build one instead. If we assume he is skilled, do you think I would be better off buying the fender or do I stand to gain significantly more value by assembling one from parts?

Thanks for any advice!

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

i guess you are taking the right first step in asking questions... if you have him build it (assuming he is skilled) I'm sure you will end up with much more guitar for the money... but if you buy it (esp if u buy used) your resale value is going to be much better. that's the trade off. the general concensus is that parts guitars drop value like digital rack gear. that said my partscasters play better, sound better, have tighter neck joint, better pickups, better hardware, better shielding, better fret work, better materials, better finish than any fender at twice the price and I chose the specs that matched me exactly. so in short... I think I can speak for everyone here by saying build it!

3. Midnight Shadow

Midnight Shadow New Member

Depending on how well the person is who would build guitar, and what specifically you want such as inlays I would say you might get more of what you want from a custom build. On the other hand a buy off the shelf is done and custom builders sometimes have a year or two wait till it can be built.

4. rgraf

rgraf New Member

Warmoth makes better stuff then Fender, in my opinion. I like their trussrods, and with a rosewood neck, I can get almost no relief, and the rod never needs adjusting. This the pro style that I use. As for resale value, that's questionable. You'll definitely get more guitar for the buck, and you can get whatever options you want. If you're really into the 'authentic vintage strat sound, they've got the options, but as another poster pointed out, the resale value would probably favor fender. I go with rosewood neck/rosewood fingerboard, abalone inlays and the tallest, widest frets available. I go with Koa bodies, unless I build my own, if I find a real nice chunk of wood. If you find a neck with all the options you want, you might find a bargain on their site. You'll also get to see it first. Fender doesn't really offer what I want, so resale value isn't an issue. I polish out the wood, and the strat I built a buddy got an offer of $1500 bucks.If you want unique, resale depends on your tastes matching the buyer's. A well set up warmoth will have a pretty good resale value.

5. Bradh88

Bradh88 New Member

I concur! Build one...you'll love it! Fact of resale value is definitely a fact, vs a "real" Fender ... but if you're anything like me, I can't bring myself to sell any of my geetars anyhow, lol!

mistermikev likes this.