Buffing Arbor/Machine?

Discussion in 'Glues, Fillers & Painting' started by Duplex Dave, Oct 24, 2013.

1. AxeMaker

AxeMaker New Member

Devine Brothers has a similar kind of Safety Plate that you are using with 1/2" arbor holes. I have some flat ones now that are 4".

I have a 1/2" arbor so to use the Jescar wheels I would need to buy several pairs of reducing bushings like these on Amazon?

So what is the difference between the canton flannel wheels I bought and the domet? They are both very soft wheels aren't they?

2. B. Howard

B. Howard New Member

Yep those are the correct collars for airway buffs.

It wasn't until you mentioned the arbor size that I caught you are using a 5/8"shaft. I think you will find that a bit weak, especially at 36" long. The original SM was a 3/4" shaft and that had a bit to much flex in it. The newer set ups like mine are 1" shafts. This also allows fore a wide fitment of standard industrial buffs.

The difference between buffs? All I really know is the airways are the industry standard for buffing out lacquer finishes on instruments. They are what everyone I know uses from the factories to the small shops. The loose flannel wheels like you have are mostly used for polishing metals like aluminum and chrome. I think they will either be to soft to cut with the compounds we use or will run hot and burn the finish. But I really don't know on that one.....Give them a try and let us know.

3. AxeMaker

AxeMaker New Member

The 1/2" shaft @ 36" long is the same as what Stewart-MacDonald is selling now.

Once I get everything painted and put together etc.. we'll see how the canton flannel works.

4. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Everything seems to hinge around what buffing wheels you will be using and then building out from that. I'm going to be running wheels that fit a 1.25" shaft, 48" long minimum.
    The SM shaft is too short IMO.
    Something like this:

Attached Files:

AxeMaker likes this.
  5. B. Howard

B. Howard New Member

No it's not, shafts are 1". here look at the specs....
    StewMac Buffing Arbor | stewmac.com

6. AxeMaker

AxeMaker New Member

Oh you're right it is 1" ! Well I guess I will be using the 1/2" on my belt sander project then being that it calls for a much shorter shaft.

So I just bought a new 1" axle and pillow block bearings. It wasn't too painful only $72.05 with tax.

EDIT: Today, 10/12, I found a pair of the 4" Airway Flanges for $21.95 at Bright Works. Which from shopping around is not a bad price.

The axle I bought is actually a Go Kart axle that is 44" long, 1" is diameter. It has been turned down to 3/4" on each end two inches long and threaded. It was $49.99 at Northern Tool. The pillow block bearing I also purchased at Northern Tool here for $8.99 each.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  7. Duplex Dave

013.JPG 013.JPG 020.JPG 026.JPG 027.JPG Buffer 010.JPG Buffer 017.JPG Forgot to post up my buffer I completed a few months ago. 1.25" shaft from McMaster Carr, had to get the ends threaded at a machine shop. Basically all the parts we from McMaster, except some of the pully's and collars were from Grainger. 1hp motor off Craig's List, I thought it might not be strong enough but it's perfect. Had trouble finding a 1.5 or 2hp 120v motor for less than $300, but I don't think I need it. Buffing wheels are 16".

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  8. Duplex Dave

dave_b likes this.
  9. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

That looks awesome. Collings runs machines like that, they've got something like 8 of them I believe. They're fantastic.

10. Nbrue2843

Nbrue2843 New Member

So, I Google'd buffing arbors and lo, and behold, here pop up you guys...the world is good. I started reading the 2013 entries, and found at the end of the trail a picture of my dream arbor, and lists of stuff to build it with. Since I just finished the build on guitar number 1, and since I'm just starting the finishing, I might as well build my own arbor set-up. I'll keep track of it along the way for you guys and post pictures if I can figure out how...thanks, Dave.

11. frankencat

frankencat New Member

Great thread from the past. It's time for me to step it up in my shop and build a proper buffing rig. That Stew-Mac rig is over my budget. I would like to keep it under $500. Are there any update or new info anyone can share before I dive in here. I was thinking of picking up a Shop Fox arbor but it's 3/4" and I am not sure that will do. Thanks for the info.
    Frank
    Slamo Custom Guitars
    Florida

12. frankencat

frankencat New Member

So I went ahead and bought the Stewmac setup. After working out the total price of several other options it was only about $150 more when all is said and done and it is a high quality, purpose build setup. The only issue I have is that they don't include any mounting hardware but $20 and a visit to Ace took care of that. ;)