Blackmachine B7 blueprints

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by frankedelic83, Jul 7, 2014.

1. frankedelic83

frankedelic83 New Member

hello fellas

i have some blueprints relating to a BM7 in 26.5" scale.

if i wanted to make the guitar a baritone scale say 27.5, can i just move the intonation point of the bridge lower to allow for that extra inch or is it more complex than that and it will ruin it?

2. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Basically you can do that. Notice the neckpocket will be placed slightly different perhaps.

3. frankedelic83

frankedelic83 New Member

sorry but i don't understand as its my first build :/

4. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

i'd say read up a bit more about scale length and how a build is built around that. the fret distances will change, the bridge position will as well and when that happens then the taper for the neckpocket changes as well.

once you understand how it all works then start your build. until then keep reading and asking questions.

5. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

When talking about modifying scale length, I use the 24th fret position as the reference. Take this, for example:

[​IMG]

The top one is a normal 34" scale. The bottom one is a 30" short scale. The bridge, nut, pickups, and all that are the same. The only difference is the scale length.

To make it happen, I moved everything around the 24th fret, which is at the same place on both basses. The bridge is moved exactly 1" toward the neck, and the nut is moved 3" toward the bridge. The pickups are placed at 92% and 84% of the scale, and those were moved proportionately.

This way, the ergonomics over the body are affected very little, and the nut is brought a lot closer, which most bass players feel makes them easier to play.

I don't know if any other bass guys do it that way, but it makes the most sense to me, so I do it.

KnightroExpress and Knarbens like this.
  6. Tonedragon

Tonedragon New Member

If scale length doesn't make sense too you then don't attempt to build untill it does.
    Start with a fret board with that scale. Attached to neck.
    Measure where your neck will be on the body. Measure the scale, measure the scale again.
    Mark the scale length position on the body.
    Glue or screw.
    Once you understand how and why .. well then have at it.