Best Place To Buy Woods In New England.

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Aaron V, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Aaron V

Aaron V New Member

I recently depleted my stock of usable wood, anyone got any recommendations where the best place to buy from is? Mainly looking for maple and mahogany

2. Tonedragon

Tonedragon New Member

Maple is readly avalible in our neck of the woods. Try local hardwood lumber yards and talk to local Luthiers. I went to three saw Mills before I found one that knows other instrument builders and he was knowledgeable in our needs.
    White flame maple, Walnut, ash, adk spruce....ECT.
    All exotics are imported. And you will have to pay. There are many Hardwood dealers in New England, many offer a better deal if you go there and pick through the pile.
    I found an awesome deal on black limba in NH but they wouldn't ship to NY. I ended up paying $$ ordering from Washington.

I found the more you spend the better deal local yard s will give you per board foot.
    Remember we have it made as far as Flame maple goes. Basically anything they are afraid to run through a wood chipper will be either awsome burlwood or flamey as f()©.

3. Zacker

Zacker New Member

I know this is an older post but being from The North East myself (CT) I find it useful to get in touch with local tree cutting companies and ask them if they’d either let you grab up some long pieces of maple or ash or see if they’d sell you some. A lot of smaller companies will let you show up on a nod and take what you want so they don’t have to get rid of it lol just don’t be a jerk or obnoxious and you’d be surprised how much wood you can get for free. You’d just need a way to get it home or to your local lumberyard for processing. This summer, after the nine tornadoes we had here in CT , people were desperate to give away fallen trees! Lol