bearing bits vs bushings? (bartlett templates)

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by The Outlaw, Dec 28, 2014.

1. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

i dont have near the time i used to so i was considering buying the bartlett templates then realized they are made so you need to use multiple straight bits with router bushings rather than the bearing bits i already bought.

is there any special reasoning or benefit to the bushing method?

i wouldnt care and would just give it a shot but not only does it double the cost of the templates to have to buy the other bits and sleeves but also seems like it would make it easier for me to screw up.

are there any similar options for templates that you can use pattern following bearing bits on?

2. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

bushings can be a PITA when you don't have the thing screwed in tight enough and it comes loose and the bit ends up going through it...they are also hard to center exactly...

that being said, they do give far higher flexibility as far as depth of route...pattern and flush cut bits have a specific length and depth of cut is limited to the parameters of the thickness of pattern you are using...e.g. if your pattern/template is 1/4" thick you for all effective purposes have not adjustment of depth available...if it is 3/4" thick the bearing can ride over the top and be adjusted to go down to the bottom before it hits the material beneath it. either way, not much of an adjustment available...

a straight bit will have a much larger range of adjustment available, and also allows for multiple (read gentle without much force being required) passes by simple adjusting the depth via the router...

3. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

If you can afford to have a router set up for bushings and not use it for anything else, bushings are are a great way to go.

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

My router has two bases, one is set up permanently for a bushing, the other is a plunge fixture that works great with pattern bits. Collar cut is definitely a necessity if you need to have a corner with a smaller radius, such as when doing a recess for a Floyd Rose tremolo.

5. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard New Member

i've bought three routers now specifically for bushing use. the versatility is amazing, and i wont risk melting/breaking any of my templates. (as much)

it also lets me do multiple routing processes within the same set up.

Adam likes this.
  6. SlingBlade

SlingBlade New Member

Hey, not sure if you've made a move on this yet, but the current version of the Bartlett templates are 1:1. They are made for using standard flush trim pattern bits, no offset for bushings. I just emailed Tom last week to verify this.

Hope this helps!