Are any of you bad at playing guitar?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TrashJuice, Mar 27, 2014.

1. TrashJuice

TrashJuice New Member

Just curious. One of my motivations for even pursuing guitar building is that I love guitars, but after more than 15 years I'm just not very good at playing them. I do ok, I've been in bands (though usually on bass), but when it comes to lead guitar I'm not sure I'll ever be even passable. Much less actually good.

I am still as passionate as ever about the gear side of guitar playing. But in some ways my new interest in luthiery and woodworking in general is basically an admission to myself that I just kinda suck at playing guitar.

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I used to be a lot better than I am. I'm not very good anymore, I just don't care to practice. My interest in playing guitar waned significantly when I started to build them.

TKOjams likes this.
  3. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

I can barely play some riffs and chords.
    And maybe Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star if I really concentrate and play slow.

4. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I am a horrible bass player, because I don't practice consistently. I've been thinking about taking some lessons, mostly so that I can make demo videos without embarrassing myself.

5. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Kinda in the same boat as Adam.

6. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

x2, after working on guitars full time for many years I really don't want to pick one up when I get home....

7. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

I am always surprised by the number of guitar builders that can't play guitar. I know of several who have never even tried to learn, and have no desire to - they just like building them, and are very passionate about lutherie even though they will never use the instruments themselves.

8. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I was always surprised when I found out a Collings employee wasn't a musician. It was rare luckily.

9. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

And not only guitar builders.
    Great example is my father-in-law, who makes excellent violins, but can't play at all.
    Long time ago he just dreamed of building a violin, because they were the most beautiful instruments he could think of, learned how to make one and that turned into a decades long career.
    ...and he still can't play violin (but he can play trombone). :D

10. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

To me playing is fun, but I don't care of practising and getting better (I never did).

11. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Mike Shannon, who is a long time Jackson Custom Shop builder (he helped build some of the stuff intended for Randy Rhoads) doesn't play guitar. He was a cabinet/furniture builder who heard that Jackson was hiring. I'd say it worked out well for him.

Sully

12. evolved_insanity

evolved_insanity Active Member

My parents couldn't afford a guitar when I was growing up so I never learned to play. I wanted to learn in adulthood which is why I started building but I haven't been able to make time to learn to play. My wood acquisition and building keeps me busy enough though. So I do not know how to play at all.

I would say it is definitely something that works against m while building since I can only make them to feel good in my hands.

13. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

I really enjoy playing guitar, but I wouldn't call myself very good. I guess I can play well enough to verify that a guitar is in good working order.

14. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

15. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

Ditto

16. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Member

I am a noob to the forum. I don't get the chance to play much anymore, and I have forgotten a lot more songs than I remember. I do like to play but arthritis in my wrists presents issues once in a while.

I have broken my left wrist twice - shattered a bone the 2nd time and had a bone graft done. Pins in it for 3 months, cast for 6 months. I actually tried to play while it was in a cast (from shoulder to the fingers), much like Les Paul did when he had his arm in a cast.

Also broken my right wrist.

There's my excuse for being a crappy player.

17. lespaul524

lespaul524 New Member

I've been intrested in guitars since 1982 but cannot play to save my life outside of some riffs and power cords. I don't even know how to play one whole song. i have no concept of scales. a tin ear and total lack of fine motor skills to boot. I like to build so i can feel a connection to the instrument that I obviously cannot get from playing.:dude:

LPBR and poro78 like this.
  18. LPBR

LPBR New Member

I play bad, don't practice, getting old. I used to be better at my 20s when I could play ten hours a day, but frankly, I never was a real GOOD player. I think that it demands some gift that I didn't born with.

19. Rick G

Rick G New Member

Played for many years and had some OK skills. Then one fateful day out in the shop I ended up losing the end of my ring finger, left hand. Worst day of my life. Now, many years later I picked up a bass at my sons urging - and things went pretty well. Started a whole chain of events. Built a 59 Bassman amp, and an 18 watt Marshall just to see if I could do it. My very old applause acoustic called me out of its case and I could actually do a few things. I now have a few electrics, Ibanez, SG, and a Kramer. Cannot play much but I am enjoying the hell out of making some noise once again!
    Staring on a 5150 sort-of clone as repayment to me for losing my digit.

Renkenstein likes this.
  20. Jim Ball

Jim Ball New Member

I just saw this thread and thought I'd add my 2ยข. :wave:
    I've read elsewhere that being able to play guitar is essential to building guitars. Well, I don't subscribe to that school of thought, and I'm glad to see that others here do not either. I have a very little experience playing, but was never a player. This is from 1976:
    [​IMG]