Aniline Dyed A Les Paul And Didn't Get The Results

Discussion in 'Glues, Fillers & Painting' started by Sinster, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Sinster

Sinster New Member

I'm using these dyes http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/dyes/aniline-dyes-water-soluble

This is my second attempt of trying to do a burst with dye. One of the issue I'm running into is that I can't get the grain to pop. The other issue is when I sand back the dye the maple stains and looks dirty.

Here's a picture the amber is a little too dark, but I can make it lighter. You can see the blotchy of when I sanded the first coat back
    [​IMG]

I prepped the top 220 and then went to 320. I used Naphtha to clean the top. I then applied the dye and let it dry overnight. I then sanded the first coat, but the grain didn't pop. Before I go back to a solid color any suggestions out there.

Here it is before applying the dye
    [​IMG]

I followed the instruction from a lot of YouTube videos.

Here's a few that I watch a few times.

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Did you dilute the dye? It looks like it was too concentrated.

3. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

The grain didn't pop because there is very little grain to pop. That's a very bland piece of maple.

4. Drake Guitarworks

Drake Guitarworks New Member

Agreed - You have what's known as a "plaintop" - Maple that has no flame or ribbon curl. Your top does not have any of the flame that the tops seen in the videos have. That's ok. There are plenty of plaintop maple caps on guitars out there and they look beautiful when colored. They just don't happen to have the three-dimensional look that flame maple has where it looks like satin ribbon in the grain.