Angled Neck and Headstock : How do you make them?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by TheAntipop, Jun 15, 2014.

1. TheAntipop

TheAntipop New Member

If I want my bass to be neck through and have an angled neck and headstock, how could I do it if I want my neck and headstock to be in one piece of wood(actually more since it's going to be a laminated neck but you know what I mean :))? And I also have a question that might seem pretty stupid...Why make the neck angled? Is it for playability and/or string tension? :scratch:

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Your blank has to be large enough to accommodate cutting a headstock and body angle. You angle the headstock so the strings press down over the nut. If they didn't press down they'd buzz like crazy in the nut slots. You can choose not to angle the body side, but you have to either recess the bridge, have a really thin bridge, or make the neck a lot taller than the top of the body. Angling makes the most sense, but the angle you use is also bridge dependant.

3. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

How difficult would a scarf joint be?

4. TheAntipop

TheAntipop New Member

I think i'm going to do a scarf joint for the headstock. And Adam, what do you mean by bridge dependant?(English isn't my native language so I might not get all of what you say haha ^^'' )

5. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Different bridges have different heights over the body. I've not built any basses to know anything beyond that :lol:

6. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Easiest way to angle the neck is to taper the neck heel. However, it shouldn't really be necessary. Most basses don't have angled necks. If you are set on angling the neck, you should be able to get a bass TOM, and Hipshot has that D style bridge.

7. TheAntipop

TheAntipop New Member

Oh alright then, I won't make one!It should save me some time :) but why basses don't need angled neck as guitars do?

8. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Because a hard tail bridge on a guitar is a lot shorter than a Tune-o-matic. Hard tails don't usually need a neck angle (or don't need much of one) while Tune-o-matics and non-recessed tremolos do.

9. TheAntipop

TheAntipop New Member

Thanks guys! :D