African Mahogany?

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Renkenstein, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

So I picked up a slab of African Mahogany, 4bf worth. The genuine mahogany variety wasn't available at this specific supplier. One thing I noticed is this slab is fkn HEAVY!!! I was wondering if this is a difference between African mahogany and other species(or location...whatever...dun wanna open that can o worms), or is this just a piece from a morbidly obese mahogany tree.

The other difference I've found is this is DARK...I'm talkin dark dark. All the LP build threads I've seen feature mahogany that is a light tan. Other than that, the grain looks about the same, and it looks like a piece of mahogany.

What I had originally intended was to cut some body wings out of this and glue it to a laminated maple/walnut core. Now, however, seeing that I have 48" of the stuff, I was thinking about cutting some lamination stringers, alternating it with some figured maple, and making it into either a neck thru or set neck build.

Anyway...long story short...I've got some HEAVY ass mahogany. Is this a mahogany anyone else is familiar with, and should it be used to make a neck, keeping weight and potential neck-dive in mind?

2. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Hmm....any pics? I've got a big piece of VERY dark mahogany in my basement that is African. It is also heavy. I would be interested as well to know what others think of this.

3. Jim Engen

Jim Engen New Member

I've had some Sapele that was pretty heavy. Never had heavy Khaya but I've only handled a couple pallets worth. You never know if the suppliers even know the correct specie. Some can be very similar.
    Pictures would definitely help.

Jim

4. Renkenstein

I'll def get some pics up this weekend. Thanks!

5. evolved_insanity

evolved_insanity Active Member

Could be Khaya Grandafolia rather than Ivorensis. It is much darker and very dense and heavy. The grain is also all over the place and can be difficult to work with. Good luck with it.

:io:

6. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

I've bought Khaya from two different sellers and there was a slight difference.
    The second batch is bit heavier than the first. :scratch:

These are the one's I used to build my SG

[​IMG]

And here's the wood for my current build.
    Heavy and grainy, the color is also lighter.

[​IMG]

7. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Hmm...very strange. Not sure what renkenstein has, but the stuff I've got is about twice as dark as that.

8. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I've had some African Mahogany that's really dense, and I've had other African that's really light. I think part of it depends on how close to the trunk the board is, but I also just think it's not a very consistent species, density-wise. The stuff I've used has sounded fantastic though.

9. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Is it striped ?
    Could be sapele .
    Sapele has a very distinct aroma to it . I can't describe it , but I know it when I smell it .
    I had a martin D15L in sapele .

10. LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil New Member

Interesting
    ESP uses african mahogany for their "Edwards" line of Gibson copies and the general consensus is that they're light.really light & not exactly in a good way either

11. Renkenstein

Bah...didn't get around to getting pics up, but I did get a V body blank glued up this weekend.

But yeah...this hunk o wood is much darker. I'll try again with pics tonight.

12. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Mine is not as striped as I would expect Sapele to be. It's no more striped than I've seen any other mahogany to be. It's just darker - a LOT darker. Not as dark as Walnut, but close. It is definitely a mahogany species though as far as I can tell.

Here's a comparison photo - Khaya Mysteriosa on the left, Honduran on the right. This photo doesn't do a good job of showing the colour, because most of it is more orange than this. This piece is slightly darker than I would judge most of it to be, I just grabbed the piece that was nearest on hand. I don't have another photo though.

[​IMG]

Is yours this dark Renkenstein?

13. Renkenstein

Yup. Almost exactly the same shade, but like you said, more variations in the color...specifically reddish hues.

14. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

The african I've had is noticably lighter than honduran (besides the price, its why I use it)

Mukar - thats the lightest (color) I've seen on honduran (the one on the right....). All the honduran I have is much closer to the one on the left. The one on the right looks like luan to me.

Anyone else ever have trouble with the real fuzzy streaks in the african? The 'fuzz' are nearly splinters coming out of the grain. I've got a couple of SG bodies that I've just done in african and the fuzz went deep enough (after careful planning) so that when I grain filled (for gibson cherry red) its kinda obvious that something came out of there - looks almost like tearout

15. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Sorry JC, I made a mistake in my last post - the piece on he right is a regular piece of African, not Honduran. The photo was meant to compare the strange dark mahogany on the left to a normal piece of African.

It's also not a great photo though because it's overexposed, I took it at the base of a large window. It doesn't show the color properly in either piece.

16. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Yeah I've had that problem as well. Usually takes ages to sand out those spots.

17. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

the problem is that on an SG or LP where the back is obviously supposed to be flat, those streaks of fuzz, sanded out on a translucent finish, will show unless you take the whole surface down with it. I'm avoiding boards where I see it on the surface from now on - otherwise, great stuff!

18. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Try dampening the surface before you plane it. I usually have a spray bottle next to my planer. Dampen the wood before every pass.

KnightroExpress likes this.
  19. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Now there is an interesting trick that I have never heard of :hmm:

20. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

ok, i'll have to try that