Acoustic Forum

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BWGuitars, Apr 20, 2013.

1. BWGuitars

BWGuitars New Member

I have a quick suggestion: Rather than having a general forum for all guitar building, why not have a section specifically for solidbody/semi-hollow electrics, and another separate forum for acoustic/jazz-boxes? Not sure that there are enough acoustic/hollow builders, but it seems to me like it'd be cool to have a forum specific for that fine, and very different, art form.

Or maybe I'm crazy and it'd be better to have one general builder's forum.

Leo likes this.
  2. jonny

jonny Active Member

I like them mixed. It's more likely that someone would check out a build that they normally wouldn't, if it's right there on the same page.

poro78 likes this.
  3. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Member

It would be better if there were a lot more members on here. Since it's a new forum, I think it's better to give it time and let it grow before starting a separate forum for acoustic builds. I don't think it won't be too long before membership flourishes here.:hmm:

4. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm for it. I'm looking forward to seeing this place grow and have people outside the MLP find it in order to help differentiate from the Luthier's Corner.

Sully

Knarbens likes this.
  5. BWGuitars

BWGuitars New Member

My thoughts on separate forums are kind of in hopes that this place will grow and flourish, and that maybe separate forums would help attract acoustic guys... You know, a slow transition into the likes of us crazy solid builders ;)

Same here. It feels weird posting bolt-on superstrat stuff in a Gibson-oriented forum... I doubt that I'm the only person who came across the LC and felt the same way.

jkes01 and BlackSG91 like this.
  6. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Member

Aren't you the guy on YouTube....Sully's Garage?:scratch:

7. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Yep; that'd be me.

Sully

Guitardude and BlackSG91 like this.
  8. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Member

Ah ha! I knew it was you! I recognised your name off the bat. Hey, what's up with that bullshit saying only a real Les Paul has binding. Are you fvcked? I enjoyed your Ebony LP Studio restoration but I haven't seen all parts yet. I will soon. ;) I think there is about 10 parts or so. I own an LP Studio (Ebony) myself, and I think it looks great without the binding! Love your videos bro...:dude::metal::yesway:

9. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

I don't wanna give spoilers regarding the remaining episodes that you haven't seen, but yes, I believe they can look incomplete without binding. Going further, the original Studios had body and fretboard binding. Looked better, IMO. I wouldn't say that expressing one's personal preference means that it's bullshit or that I'm "fvcked," however; It's just a preference, mang.

Anyway, I learned a lot of things during the project that helped me come up with my own single cut guitar that works better for me and what I like when it comes to guitars. I've had a few nice Les Pauls (even my dream - a black custom) but it was this one that showed me why I never bond with them. The lack of ergonomics at the neck joint or on the back are clunky to me, the headstocks can snap with a sneeze because they refuse to change their construction methods, and finally, I just don't mix well with the shorter scale.

So I designed my own single cut that's obviously influenced by what was at one time my dream guitar (in that it's clearly the starting point), but has my spin on it. I'm not saying it's better (although it's more structurally sound), but I have a good feeling about the first prototype.

I'm sure this is WAY longer of a response than you were expecting, and I hope that you enjoy the rest of the series. Oh, if you watch them from my site, you can see the Vimeo hosted videos, which has content that some of the youtube videos don't have. For example, one of the videos had the audio removed by youtube because of copyright issues (the music playing in the background - I think it was Mr. Scary, but I don't remember). so unless you're great at lip reading, that episode (I think #10.2?) So click the Sully Guitars link in my sig and go to the Media section and select videos. You can see them all there.

Sully

BlackSG91 likes this.
  10. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Member

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was just joking earlier about the binding.:wave: Everybody has their opinions on it and the Studios. In fact I was one of those who thought Les Paul's only look good with binding, but now I'm 50/50 on both with and without. I noticed in my area, I know a lot of good guitarists and they all seem to have the wine red Studio LP's with gold hardware. I've played a few of them in the past and I was impressed by the feel of the guitar. The look didn't grab me as much because they didn't have binding, but now that I own a Gibby LP Studio (ebony) my outlook has changed. I just put on a creme PG, creme poker chip and now I'm thinking of rosewood pickup rings. I've even replaced the black control knobs with amber top-hats from All-Parts. It's looking killer classic right now. There was another thread (older one) on MLP where one member did a project by putting binding on a Studio. He charged his customer only $100 because it was his first time attempting this task. He did an excellent job but realized it was more work than he thought, so next time he's charging around $400 instead.

I was basically a Fender guy myself and I own 9 strats and a '52RI Tele that I love. I'm starting to like the shorter scale necks because of the slightly fatter tone you get and easier string bending. That's great you designed your own single-cut that suits you. You're right, it's what you prefer and not someone else. I love the feel of all guitars and I'm a self-proclaimed guitar junkie. But right now, I'm addicted to my LP Studio because the chambered body sounds very resonant and I just love that airy tone. I know what you mean about the chunky neck heel and that's always been an issue. For me I just adjust the way I have my hand around the neck and I don't find too many problems. I used to visit Ed Roman's site quite a bit before he passed away. He sure had quite the rants against Gibson and I've read them all thoroughly. He even redid other people's Les Pauls with a newer body with better wood and a neck joint similar to the Gibson Axxess guitar that Alex Lifeson (Rush) plays. His guitars were phenomenal and I would spend hours on his site. He even showed some of his construction methods which I found very informative and helped me in setting up my guitars better.

You have a good series of videos happening there. You look like a guy who doesn't get upset at anything. Some guy could be in the background calling you every name in the book, and you would reply with a friendly...YEP!:yesway: I'll have to check out more of your videos because there are so many others on YouTube, but your videos caught my eye. It's good to have you on this forum brother. Hopefully I can pick up some great tips on this forum and it's looking good already. :wave:

11. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Thanks man; I try to keep things light, but I definitely do have my moments.

Sully

Guitardude and BlackSG91 like this.
  12. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the suggestion. These will be added in the future as the community grows. :cool:

BWGuitars likes this.