Acoustic Finish Repair

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by rmilam4, May 19, 2017.

1. rmilam4

rmilam4 New Member

I have a Takamine EG334RC that the finish has developed a white haze on about 60% of the guitar (see pics). To my knowledge, the guitar has not been wet, but it's not impossible. I have read a lot online and tried most of the solutions mentioned with no luck. I have tried jet spray (lacqer reflower) to release any possible moisture and have even lightly sanded a small area to see if the haze would diminish. None of it helped. Do any of you have any thoughts?
    The guitar is a Takamine G Series so it isn't the best guitar on the market. However, it was my 1st guitar so I'd like to fix it and keep it.

Attached Files:

2. michael2522

michael2522 New Member

White haze repair on furniture with lacquer finish is easily accomplished with alcohol rubbing. I will soak a cotton rag in alcohol and just lay it on the affected area. Within 20 minutes the haze has all faded away. I have had white haze occur while spraying (lacquer) on an instrument, usually because of humidity. Usually another wet coat will remove the haze. Most modern production instrument makers are using polyurethane, especially the Japanese. For polyurethane take a clean sponge, soak in mineral spirits, wrap in clean white cotton cloth. Rub affected area. this will remove the first layer of finish and should remove the haze. You may have to repeat this process until you are down to the stain and will require respraying of the finish. Always run a test area. Good luck.

3. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

A pal of mine had a problem like this, and he used Roland Piano Polish.... Took it off like magic. It's not cheap, though - something like $16 for a small bottle.