Ack! A Nasty Surprise!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jim Ball, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Jim Ball

Jim Ball New Member

I started to install a 6" riser kit on my 14" Ridgid bandsaw Thursday afternoon and found a nasty surprise as soon as I loosened the bolt holding the upper frame to the base. It starting wobbling around! It turns out that one of the alignment pins was broken off flush with the base and was just laying loose in the space behind the bolt. After examining the broken pin, it appears to have been broken off long ago.
    [​IMG]

Fortunately, the pin was mild steel and easy to drill & tap, thread in a screw & extract.
    [​IMG]

I used a steel roll pin to replace the broken pin.
    [​IMG]

After that, everything proceeded without any major issues and I now have the ability to cut wide stock. (Not an ideal setup, but it will get me by until I save my pennies for a 3-hp 19" bandsaw.
    [​IMG]

2. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Damn! That is a nasty surprise...definitely. Looks like all turned out well though :) How do you find the cutting performance on that ridgid with the riser installed?

3. Jim Ball

Jim Ball New Member

The Ridgid only has a 3/4-hp motor, so I have to use a really slow feed rate. I also need to come up with a tall resaw fence. The first cut on that piece of Spruce went fine, but the second cut started to run out at the bottom - ruining it as a top. I suspect I was crowding it, getting in a hurry and pushing too hard. :mad: I decided to leave it alone until I come up with a tall resaw fence. I went back to cutting fret slots instead. :D

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Could you replace the motor with a more powerful one?

5. Jim Ball

Jim Ball New Member

Yes. I read a review on Amazon from a guy who put the Grizzly riser kit on a Ridgid bandsaw. He replaced the stock motor with a 1-1/2 hp motor.

A new 1-1/2 hp TEFC motor is around $250.00, which is too much to invest, IMHO. I'd rather put that $250.00 toward a Grizzly 19" 3hp saw that's big enough with a strong enough frame to run carbide tipped blades on.

6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Buy used :D I just got a 1 1/2hp old GE motor on Craigslist for $50, the motor runs fantastically (was an old gas pump motor).