A Vegan guitar?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jim Ball, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Jim Ball

Jim Ball New Member

Seriously? :scratch:

There's a thread in another Luthier forum about an individual wanting a guitar that is totally free of any animal parts. No bone in the nut. No shellac. No hide glue, etc. Most of the posters in the thread are trying to be respectful and help this person out, but I suspect a few of them would like to suggest he go this route:

[​IMG]

2. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem that difficult. Use a pva glue (Titebond) and a graphtech nut , and don't use shellac.

JSH likes this.
  3. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

Agreed, I don't think it would be hard to avoid animal products in this field.

4. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Yeah! I think so, too. Not difficult. My second build: A vegan guitar without knowing it xD

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Yeti likes this.
  5. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

I could play an all vegan guitar, but not without my favorite tortoise shell pick. (not talking about celluloid either)

JSH likes this.
  6. VictOr358

VictOr358 Member

I'm not really sure if it is about my LPDC build, but my customer ordered strictly: no bone nut and no shellac. He's alright with the MOP dot inlays, though.
    Personally, I don't see any big deal with this request. It's not like "no wood" or "no metal" =)

KnightroExpress and Knarbens like this.
  7. Yeti

Yeti New Member

I'm a vegan who errs on the side of pragmatism so if something I buy does happen to have animal in it and I find out afterwards I either use it till it wears out as I'm not into waste or if I can swap it out (Like a bone nut) then I would. So When I ordered a custom recently I requested no bone nut or inlays from animal shells. My guy uses poly finishes so as far as I know no animals in there.

Like other posters said, its not really that hard to achieve a guitar with no animal bits in it, there are plenty of finishes that are all chemical, plenty of glues that are all hydro carbons made in a factory, plenty of nuts not bone and plenty inlays that look badass that aren't sea shells. I don't really see a big issue personally, especially now as I plan to build a guitar or two myself and have looked into a lot of these things.

An 'ethical' guitar, well that might be pretty dam hard with wood and so on, but hey we can't be perfect.

All that said, as a Vegan if someone does try and do something all Vegan, even if its not perfect I appreciate the effort. I think any descent person would.

8. JSH

JSH New Member

Make sure there is no beeswax used in the p'up potting either...

Purelojik likes this.