6p4t Plus Toggle...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Electronics & Parts' started by mistermikev, Dec 21, 2016.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

Did a recent re-wire of a 345 and really liked the way it turned out... decided to expand upon that with a re-wire of a 7 string I'm working on and thought I'd share since its about as unique as one could expect from simple wiring...
    The scope:
    1)I've always liked the prs "inside/outside" coils setup, but find the rotary to be a bit cumbersome in terms of quickly getting to a bridge or neck sound.
    2)I've also never liked splitting with a les paul style setup cause it gives me hum cancel in the middle but a split humbucker single in the neck/bridge - and I just don't find those sounds all that useful.
    I came up with an idea to combine a lp toggle with a 6 way rotary. This way, in pos 1/3/5 I get 3 variations on a standard les paul setup: series/series, parallel/parallel, and parallel/series. in 2/4/6 I get inside-coil/outside-coil variations on series/parallel. all positions are hum canceling.

Note my diagram skills need to improve... but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]
    also... how the heck to get media hosted here to show up in a post? nevermind

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

3. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

(the switch in my diagram is a stew mac) I've seen them, and it's certainly a good option. The 7 string I'm doing is 'all black'... so with that in mind I opted for more distinct combos, more simple operation (ultimately), less expensive... in that order.

4. Ray Carlton

Ray Carlton New Member

don't like freeway switches - i used one on a build of mine a few years ago and I thought it was too fiddly plus not robust at all - not again

5. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

I used a 6-way rotary in place of my toggle switch in a Les Paul guitar. It worked fine. The only downside is that it takes a little longer to select a new position and you probably can't do it consistently without having to look at the switch. The toggle is definitely easier to use.

6. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

7. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

I am actually doing a strat right now with the fender version super switch(basically the same thing as a schaller mega - a 4p5t) AND a 4p3t. basically a 5 way with 3 modes... 1: normal strat, 2: 4 series positions and 1 parallel (1/3/5 using dummy coils) and 3: misc tele and 3 pickup combos. I just can never have enough options, but in the end I'll only use a few! don't want to rush my finish but can't wait to wire it up!