6 String Bass, is a 35'' scale too much?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by TheAntipop, Jun 14, 2014.

1. TheAntipop

TheAntipop New Member

Hey!

I'm planning on building a 6 string bass(tuned BEADGC) and I first thought I'd make the scale 35'' so the B string isn't floppy(there is nothing worst than that!) but then some people told me the higher string might be too tight. Should I go with a 34'' scale instead or is there another alternative? I've never built an instrument before so any advice can be useful!

Thanks! :D

2. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

35" is a good scale for a 6 string bass. I would bet that *most* 6 string basses out there are on a 35" scale, specifically for the purpose of adding tension to the B string. If the C string is too tight, the easiest solution is to get a smaller string. Kalium's balanced string sets should do the trick nicely.

3. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

Agreed! Most 6-strings I've played are 35" or even a bit longer.

4. Scomel Basses

Scomel Basses New Member

I definitely prefer 34" scale. 35" scale in no way guarantees a tight or good B string. For the C string I find that it doesn't make it too tight but thins out the tone a bit.

5. TheAntipop

TheAntipop New Member

Then what should I do to make sure my B string isn't floppy?

6. Scomel Basses

Scomel Basses New Member

The most important factor I believe in a good B string is the rigidity of the neck. Multi-lam is good as well as maybe some graphite bars, though they aren't a must. Also pickup placement. If you want a round Fender type sound you need to place the pickups accordingly but this location isn't exactly the best for a tight sounding B. Moving the neck pickup toward the bridge helps tighten up the sound. However, for me, I prefer the rounder tone and always use the 60's jazz placement and still get a very good B string. Remember, an important factor in a good B string is technique. String choice in a consideration, as well.

7. TheAntipop

TheAntipop New Member

Yeah thanks for the answers everyone! :deadhorse: (damn this site has weird smileys hahaha)