1st Guitar Build Ever...

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by FLima, Apr 25, 2019.

1. FLima

FLima New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I've been wanting to build a guitar for the longest time, and just recently started to make my first. I decided to make an SG style. I have an extensive background in woodworking, but unfortunately I have never picked up a guitar in my life, so I do not play. I simply choose to make one because I thought it would be a challenging project......and the little research I've done is telling me I'm correct - lol. So far I'm most of the way into the body of the guitar, but I do know the majority of the work is in the neck and fretboard. The attached pic shows the body so far.....made with a couple of pieces of burl surrounded by epoxy resin (still rough sanded until I'm done with all the cavities, of course). I also cutout a cavity for the neck and partial cavity for the pickups. Looking forward to exploring this forum! Any feedback based on the pic would be great!
    20190421_203317_resized (1).jpg

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

looks pretty good. I'll say - you picked a guitar there that is difficult for a first build. the neck angle, the delicate neck joint, the carve... all complications. IMO if I was going to do epoxy... I'd have a solid piece through the center, just my o based on superstitions. also looks a bit like a split/knot right on the neck joint - def not ideal but time will tell I s'pose. Did a nice job on the body so far so - cudos.

3. FLima

FLima New Member

Thank you! Yes, it is a bit complicated for a first build, but I'm having fun with the research and trying to figure out things. Regarding the split - All splits, cracks and holes have been filled in with epoxy, but I think the neck cavity has ample surface area for gluing, so I think it will be fine.

mistermikev likes this.
  4. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

I'm sure it'll be fine... looks great. keep up the good work.