12 Inch Radius Or Compound Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Whisky Jack, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Whisky Jack

Whisky Jack New Member

As a (wanna be) Luthier, that is not a guitar player, I need opinions. The build I'm working on is of Stratocaster style design. With a 25 1/2 scale. For my fingerboard, should I go with the 12 inch radius? Or the Compound radius offered by Stew-Mac? I'm building this as a hobby piece. Fully understanding that as my first, it is likely to turn out as a piece of crap. However, should it turn out decent, which radius would be more desired by a player? Thanks in advance for input.

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

I'd go compound mostly because I haven't tried one and want to. Also... just want to pitch a place that I really like that is a small mom and pop shop. I'd like to support them as much as possible: allenguitar. they have really nice fretboards for very reasonable prices. no compound tho.

3. Whisky Jack

Whisky Jack New Member

What??!! Is Allen Guitars for real??!! Freaking Ebony fingerboards for $31.25? Stew-Mac is $54.60 for the same fingerboards! Okay. I'm sold on sending any business I can, their way. Back to said fingerboards. I want to go with compound radius, because what I've read about their "playability", makes a lot of sense. I just wonder how easy/difficult it would be for a player to adjust to the difference, of playing a compound radius fingerboard. Therefore, would it enhance a guitar's saleability, or lesson it??!! Anyway, thanks for your input. And for the mention of allenguitars.com.

4. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

I've bought one ebony and one rosewood board from them and both were excellent quality. The downside to them is you pretty much have to call them as last I checked their paypal handshake was broken.
    afa radius...I recently built a slide guitar with no radius. it is surprisingly comfy. I have 20 or so guitars with a wide variety of radius, a jem with a compound. honestly never even knew the jem was compound.imo it's pretty easy to switch but you play diff on dif necks/radii/dimensions.